Garfield & Galehead 3/19/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Left the Beaver Brook Parking area about 7:45 am headed for Garfield. The temperature rose from about 32 at the parking area to over 50 degrees by the time I reached the summit at 11:45. The Garfield Ridge Trail heading east was a pretty miserable trip particularly in the first half mile down from Garfield. I was very glad I was not headed up. Spruce traps and deep soft snow made for very slow going. I did not find MarkL's headband but figure I followed him and Wolfgang's tracks most of the way. Met up with Mastergrasshopper, Neil, and Dr Wu on their Pemi Loop about a mile from the Galehead hut. Proceeded to the Hut and foolishly left my pack at the Hut while I tagged Galehead. The snow pack had increased considerably since I was there in early February and there was wonderful 360 degree views, but my camera was in my pack. Creamed a tree while coming down the Gale River Trail on my "Quickie". Briefly, I thought I had broken a rib or two, but today I am just a bit sore. Back to the Car 6:15

Snowshoes necessary, GPS track From Ferrisjf and Perog99 was very nice to have on the Garfield Ridge as most of the white blazes are covered.

Pictures and GPS track on Wikiloc.

Last edited:
My impression from Wolfgang's 3/13 report is that he went back back down the Garfield Trail. Maybe someone else followed my tracks on the Garfield Ridge Trail, or maybe in that spruce field I made more tracks than one person should be legally allowed to make.;)
I hope the GPS track you had kept you from following my tracks too much. I figured those spruce traps would get hungrier as the snow warmed up.

... The Garfield Ridge Trail heading east was a pretty miserable trip particularly in the first half mile down from Garfield. I was very glad I was not headed up. Spruce traps and deep soft snow made for very slow going. I did not find MarkL's headband but figure I followed him and Wolfgang's tracks most of the way.

Snowshoes necessary, GPS track From Ferrisjf and Perog99 was very nice to have on the Garfield Ridge as most of the white blazes are covered.

thirsty hikers, hungry spruce traps

we saw and avoided the very hungry spruce trap where you missed the trail at the top of the mini slide/drainage. only got nipped by a few others.
THANK-YOU for the WATER, after hydrating Neil and I made the summit of Garfield in 1:15 from where we met. After that the long push up Lafayette went well but we both said time to head down as we would not make the end of the ridge by dark.
the first gleam of dawn gives light to the path
g = in search of light