Garfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
This was Thursday. I got to the lot at Gale River Loop Rd at about 7:30. It was -12. I got myself ready and was on my way a little before 8:00. I had micro spikes on and my snowshoes on my pack. I got about half way to the start of the Garfield trail and I was already taking cloths off. Previous trip reports were very accurate. The trail was packed and easy to navigate. There was one set of of footprints from the previous day. The trail is not too difficult and not big on views. But the woods are beautiful and oh so quiet. This is my first time climbing Garfield and only my second 4k in winter. I just started winter hiking this year. I made my way through the switchbacks, all the time saying to myself "when the hell is this trail gonna end?" I made it within sight of the top. As I made it through the trees, let me tell you, my jaw dropped farther with each step. Thursday was a perfectly clear, blue sky day! I stood there and spun around at least three times. I picked up my jaw and made it up to the fire tower. I must have walked around it twice. I just could not stop sucking in the view. This has to be one of the best views in the White Mountains, ( feel free to chime in if you know of better). There was no wind at all. I could have lit a butane lighter with ease. According to my cheap little thermometer, it was 0 degrees. I put on an extra coat and sat against the tower for a bite. The view of back side of the Franconia notch was an awesome spot to have lunch. I sat there for a good half hour.
I wanted to try to get Galehead too. I made my way to the Garfield Ridge trail. I took two steps in and sunk in. According to the trip reports, snowshoes were advisable. I took the advice and put on the shoes. The trail was broken out but nothing like the previous trail. I will tell you, I struggled a bit. It was a good workout. By the time I got to the trail junction with the Gale River trail, I already made my mind up to not try Galehead. That would have been another 2 miles round trip. I didn't have the gas. I still hade another 5-6 miles to the car. It was a long leisurely walk back to the snowmobile trails. I sat on the bench at the road, packed up my snowshoes and started walking. Dopey me takes a right instead of a left at the stop sign. I walked about 10 minutes and turned around. Add a mile. I made it to Rt3 and walked the .3 miles back to where I started. It was 4:30. I figured about 13.5 miles plus the extra one. I was glad to sit down. The only thing about winter hiking, it is hard to find somewhere to sit on the trail.
I had the best day!
Oh, I did not see one other person.
Thursday was THE day to be out.
I stopped at Truants for a beer and burger before my ride home.

Last edited:
The only thing about winter hiking, it is hard to find somewhere to sit on the trail.

Just sit down in the snow. It's soft.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2); Cat35: 25/39; WNH4K: 32/48; NEFF: 35/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll