Garmin GPS tracklog settings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
In the Garmin GPS Tracks page-Setup-Recording Method selection box, there is a choice of how tracks are recorded as:

Distance
Time
Auto

(this applies to 76/60 series, I assume it applies to other models)

For several years I used the Auto setting (which is the default) and continued to be annoyed by the junk points which occurred when stopping and at other times (worse with my old 76 than the newer 76Cx). One can go into the tracklog and delete them while visually looking at the track in Mapsource, but this is a lot of trouble. Also, the irregularity of points was obvious with Auto where there would be a big gap in distance with no points then at other times lots of points close together. I could find no explanation in Garmin's documentation of what Auto represents. Auto would seem to be useful when driving a car where speed could vary widely, but when hiking the speed would only range from 0 to around 5 miles/hour.

I then tried the Distance option. The smallest choice of parameter is 0.01 mile (equivalent to 52.8 feet or 100 points per mile). In the last year or so I have seen this setting work well and it gives reproducible distances close to published values on marked trails. Looking at the tracklogs, the leg lengths vary from about 50-120 feet, compared to 50-300 feet I had recorded with the Auto setting. Garmin may be doing this from an estimate of speed, then taking points by time.

I considered trying the Time parameter. Walking at 3 miles/hour, a 10 second interval would be about 44 feet, or 1.5 miles/hour at 22 feet, seems reasonable. But I suspect this option would generate even more junk points. A ten minute break would generate 60 worthless points.

I don't see any of the three settings to be optimal for hiking. I would like to hear the experiences of other users in pros/cons of generating good tracklogs within the limited choices of the Garmin settings. Actually, I think I would be very happy with a Distance setting of 0.005 mile, but Garmin does not allow this entry.

Log everything on the GPS using the time-based readings, then use a tool like GPSbabel to filter the extraneous points away. It has several different simplification options and you can try different parameters and "tune" to what you find is optimal for your tracks.

My old Vista used to create these extraneous points also - most annoying, but my 60CSx rarely does. About the only time it does is when I'm in a narrow canyon with steep walls and I attribute it to signal bounce.

My hunch is that not all 60CSx (and 70CSx) are created equal, as the chipsets continue to be refined and the newer ones benefit for these improvements.

Does your GPS have the latest firmware?

Log everything on the GPS using the time-based readings, then use a tool like GPSbabel to filter the extraneous points away.

In MapSource, you can do this with the "Filter" button in track properties. If you filter by distance, you can get (more or less) equally-spaced points with any desired spacing. I normally use "Auto" recording, and then filter for a 50' distance between points.

When I get home I draw a free-hand route based on memory.

Not looking for a smart-ass answer, right?

I prefer to use the distance setting due to stray TP's while stopped and have experimented with various distances from 10 meters (.01 kilometers or 35 feet roughly, all the way up to .1 km or 350 feet (approx).

I'll d-load the tracklog twice,once as a freehand route and again showing the trackpoints. I don't do any analysis so I guess saving trackpoints is superfluous in my case.