Gentian Pond via Mill Brook Rd (Shelburne, NH) and Austin Brook Trail (25-Apr-2013)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
The vast majority of this 3.5 mile trek was free of ice and snow. However, there were a few short segments of patchy snow beyond the junction with the Dryad Fall Trail where the Austin Brook Trail veers a bit from its south-facing orientation.

Mill Brook Road, as well as the segment of the Austin Brook Trail that I traveled, were both in good shape. There were no significant blowdowns along the route. All water crossings were doable. As can be expected in early springtime conditions, there were some muddy spots, but all could be easily negotiated.

When I arrived at Gentian Pond, it was as though winter had never left, or should I say that spring has yet to arrive at that location?! The pond was still ice-covered, and the shoreline still had a layer of very deep snow. How deep was the snow? I only traveled a short distance along the shoreline because I was stepping into soft spots in the snow where the depth was well above my knee!

Given the deep snow, and the fact that I'd purposely left my snowshoes at home, my exploration of the area was limited. Although there were winter-like conditions at the pond, the nearby Gentian Pond Shelter was very inviting with its southern exposure. It provided a warm, sunny and dry spot to spread out and enjoy a beautiful day.

Of course, you can reach Gentian Pond by following the Austin Brook Trail all the way. However, I chose to do a slight modification by parking at the trailhead for the Scudder Trail, and then walk along Mill Brook Road to the point where it intersects the Austin Brook Trail. (Another parking option would have been to drive 0.9 mile beyond the Scudder Trail and then park at a wide spot along Mill Brook Road just a few hundred feet from where large boulders have been placed to block access.)

Photos are at my BLOG.