Giant Ledge and Panther from Rt. 47 - 3/7/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aesop74

Reaction score
Greetings. My buddy and i put on the snowshoes and hiked Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain on Saturday. The trail from the register is well packed and bit icy until you reach the first stone steps after the bridge. From here to the junction with the Woodland Valley trail is a mixture of dry trail and post hole disaster.

After the junction the snow gets a bit deeper until the start up Giant Ledge. THe insteps on my Sojourn snowshoes did the trick up through the rocks. My bussies MSR's were fine as well.

Once we took in the view on Giant Ledge we continued over and down to the Col between Panther. Going up Panther there were many more dry spots. This continued on and off until the ledges and chutes portion above the intermittent spring. Poles and Snowshoes were perfect all the way up. We were on Panther in 3.5 hours making numerous stops and breaking for a snack.

One thing that I wanted to pass on was a group of about 40 from the Frost Valley YMCA that were on their way up Giant Ledge at 2:30 in the afternoon. Noone had snowshoes and the wreckage they left in their wake in the form of post hole madenss was disgraceful. Way to not care about others twisting an ankle or the well being of the ground below.