Giant Mountain & Rocky Peak Ridge - 1/10/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
Thursday's weather forecast for the Adirondacks called for a mostly sunny day with light winds and temps around 30 degrees. I took the day to climb Giant & Rocky Peak Ridge.

When I arrived, the weather was great in the valley, but the summit of Giant was still in the clouds. I headed up, hoping it would clear by the time I got up there. It didn't quite work out that way. Giant was still in the clouds. :( I can't complain, I've been up there quite a few times on days with great visibility and blue skies.

Looking over a RPR, the summit there looked like it was below the clouds. Maybe peak 2 would be clear. Not quite. By the time I got to RPR, it too was in the clouds. Still it was nice walking through the winter wonderland of snow.

I got back to Giant and it was starting to clear. The clouds were blowing in and out. It made for the cool pictures. As I headed down, I was back in full sun. It felt quite warm compared to the windy summit of Giant.

The trail was well broken and packed and the hiking was easier than summertime due to the smooth snow packed trail.

See pics and full trip report at:

http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/01/giant-mountain-rocky-peak-ridge-11013.html

Last edited: