Glowing Fungi or Mushrooms ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do I tell...

Pamola - I am wondering how I can tell whether the guide I am using is old school or not?

Also how would you eat "Hericium coralloides" - raw? or how would you advise cooking w/ it?

Thanks,
Inge :confused:

iceNsnow said:
Pamola - I am wondering how I can tell whether the guide I am using is old school or not?

Also how would you eat "Hericium coralloides" - raw? or how would you advise cooking w/ it?

Thanks,
Inge :confused:

The quickest way to tell if a guide is outdated would be to see if there is a species in there named Hericium ramosum. This is the species name that actually doesn't exist anymore. This was renamed coralloides, and what used to be known as coralloides was renamed americanum. Silliness.

One can eat coral fungi a few ways. Like many mushrooms, they're good with eggs. Fry em up a bit first so they reduce, and use them any way you'd like. I made a bacon and oyster mushroom quiche a couple weeks ago that was great. Some folks eat them raw as well. Salads and such. Up to you!

As always though, despite the fact that these are easy to identify, be 100% sure of what you're eating. And as always, happy hunting.