GPS Base maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4000'er

Reaction score
Is Garmin’s MapSource software the only way to upload base maps to Garmin GPS units?
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista and need to upload additional base maps. I hiked my first VT 4000 footer over the weekend and although the waypoints uploaded fine, there was nothing else there (contour lines, trails etc.)

I have MapSource, but I lost the Install (disk 1). I also have National Geographic TOPO, and DelLORME TopoUSA, but don’t think they will upload the base maps. Is MapSource my only option?

If you have MapSource, can you PM me?

4000'er said:
Is Garmin’s MapSource software the only way to upload base maps to Garmin GPS units?
The basemap is permanently installed in the GPS. You cannot erase or alter it. Typical coverage is major cities, roads, and bodies of water.

Strictly speaking, MapSource is Garmin's program to handle additional map data--the map data is separate, but they are sold in packages containing both MapSource and a specific dataset (eg US topo). Updates to MapSource are available free of charge from Garmin's website, but you must already have a working copy installed from one of Garmin's CD-ROMs for it to work.

Only Garmin MapSource can load maps in Garmin format into a Garmin mapping GPS. NG TOPO! etc can exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks, but not maps.

BTW, it is possible to make your own maps and load them in a Garmin GPS, but it is difficult. I have never tried it.

Doug