GPS weirdness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
Used the GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx) this afternoon, same as always, for a 2.27-mile walk during my lunch break at work.

In the evening, turned it on before my evening walk (gotta get those 10,000 steps, which isn’t easy when I’m working 12 hours a day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) and checked to make sure I was saving tracks to the memory chip as always — but I was unable to do so because the memory was used up 100%!

The memory chip is 8 GB; the entire National Parks East set takes up just 4% of the memory. Even if I’d left the unit on for seven hours — which I hadn’t — the other 96% of memory couldn’t possibly have been filled up.

So I went on my walk and had to struggle at the end when I wanted to save the track with selecting the starting and ending points so the two tracks wouldn’t be connected.

Later, when I turned on the unit to transfer the tracks into the computer, the memory use was only 4% again. There was no red warning of 100% as before.

So what the heck?

It figured that this was the one day I did something particularly unusual — circumnavigated The Mountain, so I especially didn’t want to lose that track.

I've got nothing. I wrote a few theories down and they were all bunk, especially since the filesystem on the SD card has a limit that no file can be larger than 4GB.

I too only have wild guesses. Perhaps a malfunction of the memory card. If it happens again, I'd replace the card.

Is the firmware up to date (v4.00 and GPSChipset 2.90 or 3.00)?
To check, click: menu>menu>setup>system>menu>Software Version

FWIW, I only save the tracks to the internal active track log (set to save the last 10K points) and download them before the track of interest gets flushed. (Obviously this only works for short trips.) Never had any problems.

Doug