Granite Gear Vapor Trail or Gregory Z Pack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberzac

Reaction score
At long last I am finally replacing my 3-year-old Golite Race pack. The pack has served me well, but the sil-nylon is breaking down from UV light causing the material to rip very easily. I’ve decided I want to go with a pack that has more of a suspension than the Golite (which is basically none). My normal 3-season pack weight is between 20 and 30 lbs with food and water. I have a few parameters that the pack must meet. It needs to be large enough to fit my warmer sleeping bag and bear canister (BV solo) inside with the rest of my gear, for early spring and fall trips; something the Golite can’t do. The pack will also become my winter daypack, so I have to be able to strap my snowshoes and crampons to it.

Two packs I’ve been looking at are the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and the Gregory Z Pack. I tried on a Z-Pack long, and Vapor Trail long, and a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (similar to the Vapor Trail but a little larger and able to handle heavier loads) regular on last night. All three packs felt pretty good on my back with about 20-25 lbs in them. The padding in the lumbar area on the Z Pack felt a little weird on my back and it didn’t look like it would be too easy to strap my snowshoes to it. The frame on the Vapor Trail felt a little too large on me so I tried on the Nimbus Ozone in a regular because the store didn’t have the Vapor Trail in that size. The Nimbus Ozone felt pretty good, but the shoulder straps weren’t as comfortable as the Z Pack I also didn’t like the fact that the two Granite Gear packs didn’t have a large outside pocket, which was on the Z Pack. My Golite has one as well, which is nice for easy access to extra gloves and a hat when I’m hiking.

Now for the point of this thread. I’m looking for any first hand knowledge on these packs as well as possible others in the same weight and size range. It’s good to know any shortcomings (such as quality and durability) of each before I buy one and find them out when it’s too late.

I have the Z-Pack and so far it is holding up well. I find that it ceases to be comfortable at about 29-30 pounds though, so make sure you try it with as much weight as you actually intend to carry. That said, I think it has better suspension than the Granite Gear packs.

I've been using a Z for about a year, in both winter and summer.

It is comfortable, carries well at 25 lbs, and has lots of capacity. I have carried a tent, sleeping gear, stove, and all required clothes and gear for an early-winter overnight at Liberty Spring in mid-December.

That said, I must add that the I think the Z is a bit over-engineered. It has a confusing maze of straps, buckles and snaps that make it a challenge to adjust in cold wx. And when the wind begins to howl, those straps can deliver a stinging slap in the puss!

One thing my Z lacks is mesh external water bottle pockets. This would be a nice addition.

cb

lumberzac said:
The Nimbus Ozone felt pretty good, but the shoulder straps weren’t as comfortable as the Z Pack I also didn’t like the fact that the two Granite Gear packs didn’t have a large outside pocket, which was on the Z Pack.

Note that the Ozone shoulder straps come in trim and wide versions as well as a few sizes, though you’d likely have exchange them directly with GG. The instruction booklet is on their web site. The booklet also explains some attachment options that may change the feel.

I’ve only used mine (Ozone) three or four times but so far I like it. It’s been stable and comfortable carrying a little over 30 lb. The lack of a large pocket hasn’t been a problem. If I eventually feel the need to keep small items handy I can always attach a side pocket. Too soon to tell about durability but no problems to date.

I have the Vapor Trail and really love the pack. The only downside of it is the lack of outside pockets but otherwise it's great. It has a beefier suspension than many light/ultralight packs out there and is quite comfortable. My pack weight is usually about 20-25lbs with water and food and I barely notice the weight on my back. I use the BV Solo canister as well and it fits fine. I haven't used it in the winter so I don't know how well it would work with strapping snowshoes to it. It's a great 2lb pack in my own opinion.

Don't know if it's a reflection of the pack or ultralight loads but I climbed up over Basin and Saddleback with the pack and had some fun monkeying around on the rocks up on top of Saddleback with the pack on the whole time :D . There's nothing like the feeling of hanging off a rock doing a lil bouldering and realizing that you have a pack on with 3 days of gear and can't feel the difference when compared to not having it on at all!

I vote for the vapor trail.I found that it was much more comfortable than the Z pack for me.I,m 5'10" 200# and cary 23/25 #'s for 2-3 days.I,m a gadgit guy so I really wanted the Z -pack because of all the acouchuments verses the striped down GG but it has served me well since this spring.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up going with the Vapor Trail. It seemed to fit my back better then the Z Pack. I was also able to fit my warmer sleeping bag and bear canister inside of it with plenty of room for the rest of my gear. My MSR Denali snowshoes were easy to strap to the pack using the two back compression straps, although I might have problems with a wider shoe. Hopefully I can try the pack out on the trail soon.