Gray Knob/Hincks/Spur Path In The Ice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I was planning on doing a loop this weekend of Lowes Path/Spur Trail/King Ravine Trail (lower section that cuts over - NOT the actual ravine) to scope out sections of the trail I've never been on for the winter. But with the impending storm now looking to be all rain I would expect it will be a lot icier than it's been. Looks like Hincks Trail and Gray Knob Trail are possible bail outs around treeline but AMC Guide mentions they are quite steep and I'd be descending that way (unless I do the route in reverse of what I intended and go down Lowes Path).

Are these trails (Spur Path, Hincks. Gray Knob) any steeper or more prone to nasty ice than others? Was hoping to have checked out earlier in the fall but it didn't work out. If anyone has any comments on this area it would be appreciated. I have spikes/crampons/snow shoes for traction. Was hoping to get done before trails are lost in snow for the season and get some GPS info for later on but I don't want to venture into these areas if technical ice climbing gear is needed or I'm just asking for trouble. I've done most of the other trails in this area and there are easy and rough areas.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Did Hinks and Spur this summer. Both were pretty dry, so i would guess they don't get excessivly ice. Hinks was a nice steady grade, so probably a nice winter decent.

Hincks is my usual way to/from Gray Knob from Appalachia. I don't think it's any more prone to ice than other trails. It's steeper than Lowes (with the exception of the stretch below the Log Cabin), but not really any worse than other N.Prezzie trails. There's a tricky stream crossing this time of year -- i.e. when it's only partially frozen over.

Spur Trail is about the same, maybe a bit steeper than Hincks at times, although I don't recall the stream crossing(s) being tricky.

I recall a significant stretch of the Lowe (a mile? Half a mile?) being damp and slabby in the vicinity of the Log Cabin (just above it? It was a while ago). Nothing too unusual, but it slowed me down in the dark after a long day.

Wasn't bad at all Friday. There was a short section between King Ravine trail junction and Randolph Path trail junction that was by far the steepest terrain on the trail and had some semi-difficult ledges with pretty heavy ice flow on it. I suspect this is the section that nartreb recalls. Going up was OK in microspikes with a few detours into the trees. I came down below it via King Ravine Trail on way out and was pleased not to have to negotiate it. Rest of trails had surprisingly little ice of any significance and the grades were mostly moderate so footing was fine.