Great Range - Wikipedia style...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff guys. Thanks for the intense lessons in geology.

Since it was my thread... ( ;) ) and the only geological item that I knew previously was that Whiteface and Esther were different "kinds" of mtns... can you confirm or dispute that? By kinds I thought that it was "Dome" mtn v. some other kind (volcanic, plateau , etc.)

Any truth to it?

Answer next week!! Have a great w/end. It's going to be a fine one around here!! :D

MattC said:
Amen to that. This has indeed been a fascinating thread, but now it's almost time to get out there for three days and tramp around on all those rocks! :D

With a heightened appreciation, of course... ;)

Matt

3 DAYS???
Some of us are not so lucky. Will have to settle for 2 days :D

MattC said:
Amen to that. This has indeed been a fascinating thread, but now it's almost time to get out there for three days and tramp around on all those rocks! :D
With a heightened appreciation, of course... ;)
Matt

3 DAYS???
Some of us are not so lucky. Will have to settle for 2 days

So New Paltz gets Canada's Thanksgiving day off, but South Burlington DOESN'T ?!
I don't think there's a plate-tectonic explanation for that !

As for Whiteface vs Esther:
Whiteface is the type of mountain summit where people in cotton walk up to you and ask "Did you really HIKE up here ?!?".
Esther is the other type.

Thanks all. Esp Willie.

MR

Willie said:
Have a good weekend, moonrock.

I did. Backpacked 7 miles up Deep Creek in the Smokies with friends.
They camped and I continued day-hiking solo up to a ridgeline (7.5 miles, 2500 ft elevation gain). The "bald" (treeless summit) that was my objective turned out to be nothing of the kind; none of the early Fall Smokies vistas I'd hoped for, esp given the perfect weather (clear, 70s/50s).

But while reading my map at one junction, I looked up to discover an adult Black Bear, standing in the trail, watching me from < 50 ft away !!! But before I could slip out my camera, it was gone without a trace :(

Hiked back to camp by nighttime vision and then by headlamp.
22 miles total for that day. Ow,Owww,Owwwww.

MR