Hale, Zealand, and the three Bonds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akafuzzjones

Reaction score
Spent the day with Monica, Jeff, Karine, and Heather. On the trail at 5 AM - over the next 14 hours we hiked about 25 milesand climbed about 6,300 feet as we hit the summits of Hale, Zealand, West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff. Snow on the ground and intermittent flurries but little wind and mild temperatures. Managed to use only Hillsound spikes the entire way. The coldest spot of the entire hike was also the most windy - at the summitof Zealand. Of coursethatis where I chose to ask the group to take a break (figured it would get worse when we got more exposed - it didn't).

With one exception the water crossings were easilycrossed by hopping rock-to-rock. The exception is a big one for now -the second to last crossing on the Wilderness Trail (as you approach the junction with Bondcliff Trail) took some time to assess and then complete. Can't remember what was there before but it seems likelog bridge or something similar was likelythere for the 20+ foot wide crossing but it may have been washed away(?). Upstream the ice was too thin. Downstream it was to "steep". The crossing point was an ice bridge in the middlethatseemsto havebeen made by the over-spray from the mini-falls below. Narrow and slippery - a slip could easilymeanmore than just getting wet. Managed with spikes and patience

The most annoying part of the trip was frozen mess on the Lincoln Woods Trail -the slushy mess made by many feet has frozen and made it nearly impossibleto find a place where your entire foot lands flat. Slow going and very uncomfortable after a long day.

Longest winter day hike so far - and all I needed was the final peak of the day -Bondcliff. The last extreme hike of 2011 -it was a good year!

Last edited:
Way to go!!

Eric, Meghan and I hiked n twin, s twin, bonds, Zealand, and hale not too long ago--in the pouring rain and we had to climb bond x2--great day!

Thanks for the conditions report, i am hoping to head there next weekend.

Last edited: