Hammocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of getting a hammock for my ultralight summer trips because the advantage of not having to find a dry, level place to sleep would really be nice, espacially when I'm bushwhacking. For those who use hammocks, what sort of system do you use to keep the rain off? Do you pitch a tarp overhead or just pull it over you like a blanket? What are some other advantages and disadvantages versus sleeping on the ground under a tarp?

Thanks in advance...

Hennessy ultralight backpacker is a great designed hammock with some new features.
You set it up like a regular hammock but get into it through a velcro slit in the bottom your own weight closes it. It coemes with a silnylon tarp that covers adequately I have not been out in a driving rain yet. there are clips to hang a flash light or what ever and a net bag both hanging from the guy line that runs through the top of the hammock (pretty convenient).
I have been out in warm weather but there are a few more good design features to admire go to http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ for additional info. Got a good deal at Nothernmountain.com

Very comfortable sleeping. good luck
Al

If I were smart, I would have saved my last response (a PM). Being lazy, I won't retype it all, other to say that yes, the Hennessy Hammock is awesome, it performs as advertised, and I spent a night in mine while 4" of pouring rain came down and I stayed dry and bug-free.

You can pull the rain fly down low for even more protection, or leave it higher up for more air flow.

The main thing to count on is only have small, lightweight stuff inside it with you (like headlamp and glasses) on the aforementioned clips. If you try to just put something at your side, it will end up under your butt (an uncomfortable place for a hardcover book).
:D

Hardcover books

hey Michael
I usually bring a trail book or a journal into the hammock and when I am finished with it I open it up and hang it over the guy line above, it holds well and no lumps under you. ;).
I know what you mean though anything on the bottom of the tent finds its way under you just gravity doing its thing.
Not to sound overly enamored but, this sure beats the heck out of tarps and wet ground.
Not quit as spacious but for a solo, very comfortable.

I've settled on using a poncho/tarp over a Hennessy Hammock - works great, and obviously the poncho tarp does double duty. Here's a picture of it earlier this year at Yosemite:

Hennessy and Integral Designs Poncho Tarp

The stock tarp that comes with the Hennessy is pretty good, too - here's mine at Long Lake last October:

HennessyHammockOnShore.jpg

So far so good on rain protection with these setups - though I've yet to experience horizontally-driven rain with either one.

- Steve

I had given some serious thought to getting a Hennessy hammock myself, but then I started thinking: From a bear's perspective, wouldn't a hammock look like a huge, poorly hung bearbag? Some bear might think he's hit the motherload, and won't have to search for food for a week, until he claws through your ass that is. Seroiusly, does this concern anyone else? I'll admit to a bear phobia, but I really think that hammock might look like dinner to a bear.

John

bad eyes, great nose

John,
Bears have lousy eyes and a great nose. Even a seriously miswired bear wouldn't think you smell like a treat. Buy the hammock. I have one and agree with all the above.

I have always used a hammock. Started with a cheap nylon string job(not very comfortable). 2 years ago I found the "Hammock Bliss" solid nylon(link below). I paid $25 for it then and have spent many comfortable nights in it. Someday I may have the extra bucks for a Hennessy, but until then, I will continue to use a 3 mil plastic tarp when rain is forecast and a headnet if the bugs are unbearable.

Basic Hammock

MY fear hasn't bears, rather porcupines. Not that it's likely, it's just that image of a sagging hammock with a porcupine underneath is too cartoonish not to happen (to me).

I'm hoping to test a Hennessy hammock before the bugs become murderous. My primary question about the thing is cool/cold weather performance.

Michael, I think I still have that pm, if you want it.

Warren,
If I said anything particularly enlightening in that PM on hammocks that I didn't say here, sure, fire it back to me or just post a quote.

In the Saturday night 80-degree humidity I wanted to use my hammock right here at home!

How do you sleep?

Seems as if the hammock would be great for people who sleep on their backs. But how about those of us who are side or belly sleepers?

I would think that those who end up loving hammocks are those whose sleep styles fit well with the hammock, but of course I may be wrong. :eek:

Comments?

I'm able (at 5'11") to lie on my side in my hammock. The only trick is finding what to do with my underside arm. I like to have my arms up above my shoulders, so it's awkward due to the upslope of the end of the hammock. If you're comfortable with your arm beneath you, I think it would work.

But I do agree, it's definitely best-suited for back-sleepers.

My frist summer backpacking I tried using a hammock and a tarp in case of rain. I gave it up after two trips.

While I enjoy rocking in the hammoack for a break, sleeping in one is not so good. I need to be flat or my back hurts the next day.
Also, I found it very dry to hang in the hammock with a tarp to shelter me from the rain- but this nothing for the insects.

Also- there was no weight or space saved in my pack. I use a Eureka "Gossamer". It is light weight.:cool:

Can't help with the back...but the Hennessy has an integral bug net and provides great protection.

I had an amusing evening in the Desolation Wilderness last fall when we were chased by mosquitoes into our shelters, and I got to lay on my hammock and listen to hundreds of them whining and beating themselves in frustration against the bottom of the hammock, right next to my ear. They couldn't bite through the fabric.