Hancock Notch Trail and Kanc, Epic snow!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
So I just had to get up and see all the snow that fell. Just like what was said, a few miles past Loon on the Kanc, the snow increased rapidly. By the time you get to the height of land, there are snow banks 8 feet high. A total of 70-75 inches of snow fell here in 5 days.

The trail head to Hancock Notch is barely plowed out, isn't this supposed to be? At any rate, only about 4 cars can fit here right now. The snow is taller then the cars too. I started up the trail with snowshoes following 2 lone skiers who were breaking trail. Luckily a lot of the snow that fell compacted and could be walked on somewhat.

The trail is pretty messy, trees down, and limps at face level. There was 45 inches or so of new snow here at the bottom. The snow increased as I came to 2850 near the stream crossing where I measured 57 inches of new snow. What normally is a large brook with open areas, was swallowed up by the the snow and barely any of it could be see. Just a few holes looking through a wall of snow. From here I completely lost the trail. I have done this trail more than a dozen times in winter, and I am telling you, it's gone! The combination of deep snow, blow downs, and lack of markings helped I think. The two skiers also could not find the trail, and we all search for 20 minutes. I tried to cut in from the south and north, and could not find anything. Plus I fell into a spruce trap up to my neck even with snowshoes on. This ended the hike and I came back.

Grouseking is going to post some of my pictures for me since I do not have an online account.

Pics...here they are; wish I could have been there

Heading up the Kanc, snow increasing rapidly

799213282_58jmK-M.jpg

799213302_wb4p8-M.jpg

A little perspective

799213314_6UkQL-M.jpg

799213317_eEJGP-M.jpg

Wowzers
799213322_KkgFv-M.jpg

Onto the trail...looks like its in there somewhere
799213346_4mdpj-M.jpg

This is a beautiful picture, my favorite scenic one of the bunch

799213358_dfn9M-M.jpg

799213369_JSVC6-M.jpg

799213377_n4cWS-M.jpg

799213391_2EbDo-M.jpg

Spruce Trap
799213403_BqJrg-M.jpg

Absolutely incredible snow depth, all from one prolonged storm. I think that is the stream underneath.

799213412_HLZhM-M.jpg

Again, wish I was there.

Get a photo account Matt! haha

grouseking

The four of us (Hugh, the girls and I) were there Sat. afternoon. We parked in the tiny plowed out space and played in the giant drifts (well over my head!) for three hours. I forgot my camera, but took some pictures on my cheap cell phone. If I can get them to load, I'll post them.

The place was unrecognizable to Alex -- I told her we were by the Hancocks, but I had to wade through the parking lot and push the snow off the trailhead sign before she believed me.