Hancocks 02/01/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
Hiked the Hancocks in a counterclockwise fashion on Super Bowl Sunday with my friend Erik and his father-in-law. Weather was actually pretty darn sweet. It was cold at 8 degrees when we left the car, but little wind made easy to deal with.

The trail was pretty firmly packed out and I didn't need my snowshoes at all. The hike up to South Peak was (for lack of a better term) freaking steep. I had to do some kicks steps at time just to create footholds.

Views were next to non-exisistent up top. It was just grey. We basically had fresh tracks over to North Peak and the trail was obliterated at times from snow blowing in across the ridge, but back in the woods it was once again a packed down trail.

North peak was colder with the wind picking up and we made quick work of pictures and such and quickly started down. The downhill was so steep at times that we just sat down and slid for up to 50 feet at a whack.

I took some video with my Flip Ultra. You can see a short 6 minute "movie" at my Vimeo site. http://www.vimeo.com/3067212

Have a great weekend everyone. The next hike is either Madison or Jefferson on 2/21. That video could be interesting.