has anyone worked for the AMC recently?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
i've applied for a job with the AMC this summer, either working on a trail crew or in the huts in the whites. this job would rock my socks, and i have an interview in just under 2 weeks. does anyone out there have any firsthand knowledge of working for the AMC? what do they look for in an interview? i've read the little blurbs about both jobs on the AMC website, but does anyone know how true those are? what should i expect? anything would help immensly.

luke

I worked on a professional level for AMC a number of years back. At Joy Street (everyone can moan all they want ;) )

Just be really pumped up for the interview. I would say for a new crew member perhaps concentrate responses on customer service (cooking,cleaning,hauling) as oppose to "outdoor" related skills.

Also the phrase, "Whatever needs to be done/carried/hauled/cleaned.", probably goes a long way.

There will be a number of returning crew members, so if you don't get it this year I would encourage another try.

Crew living quarters, low pay, disenchanted guests, the occasional misplaced hiker and the chance to be in the woods everyday. :D

Best of Luck!

Hut 1st Year...

You may want to open up to other seasonal positions too. Often hut crew jobs are not given to 1st year people, but there are always some. There are so many jobs with the AMC seasonal. Hut Crews, Trail Crews, PNVC seasonal staff (kitchen, Joe Dodge Lodge, maintnance, ect.), shuttle drivers, and I'm sure others I didn't list. Some are easier to get than others.

Jaytrek was correct his last comments about - "Crew living quarters, low pay, disenchanted guests, the occasional misplaced hiker and the chance to be in the woods everyday."

I worked at the PNVC kitchen and later trail crew with the WODC. In both money sucked, but the experiance far and out was great. You hike basiclly everyday no matter what job you get. There isn't much else to do. No TV and depending on where you are no radio. It give you a lot of time to hike and read when your not working your tail off.

Good luck! If it wasn't for my 3 kids, wife, and job here I would love to still be working for the AMC. Oh ya if you are up there before the ski resorts close the AMC has free passes to area ski resorts if you are a emplyee. Plus Tuckerman's Ravine!