Haystack & Marcy counterclockwise from Panther Gorge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank

Reaction score
New York City, avatar location: Granite Chief, Squ
One of my brothers and I want to try a day trip from Elk Lake to Marcy via Haystack from Pather Gorge, possibly throwing in Gray and Skylight. We will take to light the prior post warning of the limited space in the Elk Lake parking lot. I understand this is an ambitious out and back /w monster loop to take in one bite. Certainly daylight and weather are factors to consider. But has anyone done this? Is the ascent of Haystack via Panther Gorge as formidable as the ADK High Peaks guide asserts? Is is like Saddleback and Gothics from the west?

Hank said:
Is the ascent of Haystack via Panther Gorge as formidable as the ADK High Peaks guide asserts? Is is like Saddleback and Gothics from the west?

For my money, no and not really. On my climb of the S side of Haystack two years ago I was expecting much worse than I found based on the ADK guidebooks; it's true that the trail is steep in parts, but it will also give you a breather with a flattish section here and there. The steepest parts did not seem that exposed (unlike W Saddleback), but often had roots or trees nearby that one could use if needed. Once completely above timberline, the route didn't seem to be significantly more difficult than other ADK routes above timberline.

Enjoy it if you go that way...it is a beautiful area of the High Peaks. :cool:

Last edited:
Given that you are willing to plan this long and daunting circuit. You should not have trouble on the backside of haystack. The upper stretch is steep, like a slide (in spots) however they are short bursts of slab and I found it to be more fun/scrambling than thinking of it as a hill climb. It is not exposed like saddleback or gothics.

I would say that coming in from elk lake is the best way to approach haystack and marcy, period.

Thanks to all for your imput. I was afraid of technical climbing which would slow progress. This plan appears to be like a trip to the moon with one orbit and then return to Earth. There are no easy bailouts. I suppose we could stay in Keene Valley, leaving a car just in case we feel we are off schedule.

We are both is very good shape and not getting any younger.

Now to work out details.

Given the right conditions this plan is doable. Pacing and endurance are 2 main keys to a successful outcome. I would plan on 3 hours each way to Panther Gorge LT. (More if it's wet and muddy) Then another 4 (max) for Haystack and 4 for Skylight, Gray, Marcy. That's only 14 hours so while you are at it why not add on a quick RT to Basin?
:D

I would organize my trip so as to leave most of the weight in the LT and would think about carrying the strict minimum beyond that point. I would only have a jacket tied around my waist for Skylight and would leave my water at 4 corners. If it's hot, maybe carry a Nalgene in my hand up Marcy. (Doing the Gray-Marcy traverse is longer and more work than going up and down and is not recommended for ecological reasons).

The roughly 8 mile long hike back to your cars will require mental grit in order to maintain the pace. The car will be a most welcome site. Leave food and drink in it for when you get back.

Done, minus Gray and Skylight.

Neil's assessment was pretty much on target. 3:40 from Elk Lake to PG LT. 4 something hours for Haystack and Marcy from and to PG LT. 3:15 for the return. Showers off and on all day. Views mostly socked in and obscured. Deer flies from mile 2 to 5 from and to Elk Lake were unrelenting. They must like open spaces at lower elevations. The real danger is slipping off the half log walkways over wetlands. When they are the least bit wet, they are like ice. We each fell at least once. I fell twice and hit my head on a birch trunk. The greater damage was grabbing a trunk of something as I went down. With tender skin from the rain, I ended up shredding fingers.

The ascent up from Haystack from the Bartlett Ridge Trail presented no great problems and was probably the highlight of the trip. The descent from Marcy to 4 Corners proved dicey at times on wet rock. There was not sense doing the other 2 peaks with no views, in the rain and threat of thunderstorms.

I am not sure those 18 miles to PG from Elk Lake and back were worth the effort and time just to do the PG, Haystack, Marcy, PG loop. Shades of Allen. But I suppose this hike is essential for a well-rounded High Peaks CV along with Indian Pass and MacNaughton. Must do Noonmark. We've never seen Hanging Spear Falls either.

Hank said:
I am not sure those 18 miles to PG from Elk Lake and back were worth the effort and time just to do the PG, Haystack, Marcy, PG loop. Shades of Allen. But I suppose this hike is essential for a well-rounded High Peaks CV along with Indian Pass and MacNaughton. Must do Noonmark. We've never seen Hanging Spear Falls either.
Yes indeed, it's always a good idea to keep embellishing one's CV. Now perhaps you'd like to tackle Haystack from Sawteeth and Upper Lake.

Actually, it's fun to select "ridiculous" approaches for a particular peak. It's a good way to develop "ultra" hikes that can be kind of fun, too. Some years ago, a buddy of mine had Colden on his list. I suggested that we go from Elk Lake, beacuse it was ridiculous. We had a great trip; he is very fast on the trail. We started at first light, and we were able to hit Colden, Cliff and Redfield and get back to Elk Lake only a few minutes after dark. Other possiblities: Nippletop from Adirondac Loj; the Sewards from Upper Works; etc. All good fun! Enjoy it for as long as you can!

Couple of fun ones I did:

Whacking Dial from the Grace herd path off of rte. 73.
Couchie from Newcomb.
Averyville Road to Coreys road via the Sawtooth Range

If you can draw it on a map you can probably do it.

:D

I agree with the concept of pushing the envelope. One never knows when one is at the high water mark in their life until it is over.

The way to do distance and speed it to travel light. I am not sure if I could trail run with the amount of water and stuff for a possible bivouac we were carrying for this.

Perhaps the Range trail from 73 then back to 73 via JBL in a day. My brother mentioned this so I suppose it is a standard route.

Hank,

The range is a very standard trip, and a great, classic hike! I highly recommend it. My wife and I have been doing that as a day hike every year for about 10 years now. This year's trip was last weekend, but we didn't finish. (We got thunderstormed off Basin at about 1:00 PM. We were on track for a reasonable time.)

You can search for a bunch of threads for more info on that hike. It's kind of an entry level ultra hike. I did it the first time in 1992. I got back to my car in 9:20, and I realized that I could go a lot longer if I wanted to, which was exciting to find out! At my wife's pace, which is reasonable, we try to make it to the Garden in 12 hours. Car to car it's about 26 miles, and about 9000 feet of vertical. You can spot a car or a bike at the Garden, or catch the bus, and cut off 1.6 miles of road at the end.

There are good spots to filter water, and many possible bail outs or extensions. PM me if you want to do the hike, and want details.

TCD