Help identify this flower

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pictures. Looks like a later stage of Indian pipe. From Wildflowers of the White Mountains: "At maturity the flower becomes erect and the whole plant turns black." National Audubon Society Field Guide: "autumn flowering one [is] characterized by red color."

Can also be lavender colored. They are beautiful in a creepy, Halloween-y sort of way.

More pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_uniflora

Last edited:
100 Mile Wilderness Photos

Hi,

I just looked at your 100 mile Wilderness photos. Was this part of a through hike? Are there really no re-supply points for 100 miles?

Nice Photos.

No, just the 100 miles. It's a great time of year to do the 100 miles, as you meet many north-bounders finishing up their AT journey. I really enjoyed talking to them. Lots of interesting stories. The only chance that I am aware of to re-supply is White House Landing, which is at about mile 70. They offer lodging and meals and stock a few very basic supplies. It's best to carry everything you need, unless you have someone willing to drive in for quite a ways on dirt logging roads to make a drop off for you. That would take a bit of careful coordinating.

Kath,

I ran into one of these last fall and had the same reaction as you. "Looks sorta like indian pipe, but...

I also posted a picture her, and it was explained that this is the fruit of the flower we're familiar with.

Thanks all. I feel so lucky to have spotted them. I had to go thrash about a bit to get to them and I took about ten different shots of them while my partner patiently waited.
---Kath