Hennessy Hammocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie referred by hockeycrew. I wanted to see if any of you also use a Hennessy hammock for backpacking. They weigh only a little over 2 lbs., are easy to set up, and don't require a back pad or a pillow. If you have never seen them check it out at http://www.hennessyhammock.com/. I'll probably run into most of you on the trails and will become a regular member on VFTT so see you soon!

Haven't used a Hennessey, but I have used a Speer Hammock. Hammocks have advantages and disadvantages over tents.

As sapblatt noted, there have been a number of threads on hammocks.

Doug

I bought one a little while ago. I have used it in the yard to figure out the ins and outs and took a test nap. :D I am planning on using it for real for the first time the weekend of 10/1.

I will let you know.

Keith

I've been using one for 3 years and I love it. I don't get to use it often enough, but if I do any long-distance hikes next summer it will be the shelter I carry. This summer I spent more time in campgrounds, and so in my big tent, but for being way out in the woods nothing beats the hammock. I thought I even had a picture of how I rigged it up in Bigelow Col in June, but I can't find it.

Welcome to VFTT! See you on the trails!

I have a HH & have used it on parts of the AT in Mass. It's great as long as the temp is fairly warm. When the temps drop much (low 60ies) you need some insulation on the bottom. But if you have trees you can hang it most anywhere & be happy & dry.

I've heard a lot of good things about this hammock also....but I tend to sleep on my side, as well as tossing and turning, so I don't know how that would work. 'Sides my hubby probably wouldn't be too excited about it either since it's just for one person???

I have in fact slept on my side in my hammock, but it's far easier to be on your back, especially in terms of making sure everything doesn't slide around too much. Actually, slide is the wrong word, it's more of an issue with bunching.

In fact, I rarely have any problems with things sliding around or getting out of place in the hammock *except* when I first get in, when everything ends up under my butt and I have to do some gyrations to get my bag stretched out and my pillow (or stuffed sack) back up to my head.

Yes, hubby would be disappointed. Unless it's 80° and oppressively humid out.
:)

Klutz said:
I've heard a lot of good things about this hammock also....but I tend to sleep on my side, as well as tossing and turning, so I don't know how that would work. 'Sides my hubby probably wouldn't be too excited about it either since it's just for one person???
I have no problem sleeping on either side or my back in my (speer) hammock. Easy to use an insulating pad (I've slept at 20F in it) and no problem with things sliding around on entry or exit (or positioning my pad after I've gotten in).

I believe 2 person hammocks exist, but they would tend to force both people against each other all night. Might not be too comfortable after a while.

Doug

Last edited:
Tomahawk said:
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie referred by hockeycrew. I wanted to see if any of you also use a Hennessy hammock for backpacking. They weigh only a little over 2 lbs., are easy to set up, and don't require a back pad or a pillow. If you have never seen them check it out at http://www.hennessyhammock.com/. I'll probably run into most of you on the trails and will become a regular member on VFTT so see you soon!
I have been using a Hennessey for 3 years now, pretty much exclusively during anything except dead of winter camping - though I have used it at 20 degrees. Most of my camping is solo bushwhacking rather than along trails at established campsites. In the past I have searched for a lot longer than I wanted, an hour in some cases, for a patch of land capable of holding a tiny solo tent reasonably flat.

With my HH I have slept slung over blowdown logs, boulders, wet boggy swamps, and on steep slopes. I stay dry in the rain.... and if I expect a lot of wet weather I carry a larger than standard hammock tarp which allows me to stay dry doing things outside, underneath the hammock. I have never had trouble finding a couple of trees the right distance apart. I came kicking and screaming into the hammock world when a friend of mine got me started. I wouldn't go backpacking without it now.

I sleep on my side at home in bed, and I also do in the hammock. It really is not a problem and is quite comfortable. The assymetric shape lets you lay nearly flat.

nessmuk said:
and if I expect a lot of wet weather I carry a larger than standard hammock tarp

What do you use? This has always been the vexing problem for me - trying to scrunch under the hammock if it's wet out. Do you just rig it entirely independent of the hammock's usual tarp rigging?

MichaelJ said:
What do you use? This has always been the vexing problem for me - trying to scrunch under the hammock if it's wet out. Do you just rig it entirely independent of the hammock's usual tarp rigging?
The original HH tarp is so light I just keep it along and haven't removed it - it is adequate for light wind showers. Hennessey also sells a larger coated nylon tarp, with 3 tie-outs on each side, good for really nasty wx. It is huge and not terribly heavy. I also bought another oversize silnylon tarp especially made for the HH by a third party which is a bit lighter. I rig either of the larger auxillary tarps to the tree hugger ties, but above and otherwise independent of the rest of the hammock. You should also have the "snake skins" if you don't already, to get the hammock out of the way for day long vigils in the rain. You end up with a nice large dry lounge area under the snake skinned hammock.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought mine this summer and have used it probably about 5 or 6 nights so far. With time I have figured out how to properly set it up as well as get extremely comfortable. This weekend I used it in 30-40 degree weather near Franconia Falls and I still stayed fairly warm. I have an emergency blanket to block the wind when it gets colder. Has anyone tried this and has pointers on 4-season hammocking? Thanks a lot!

I used mine for the first time this weekend and was nicely suprised with how well it worked. I was worried that it would be a little cold but using it the way people talk about on the web page it was no problem. I used my ultra light 3/4 camprest mattress under my body. Climbed in and covered over with my sleeping bag with my feet inside the bottom of the bag. Worked like a charm. Overnight temps were in the high 30's, low 40's. At least that was what was forecasted. I haven't actually checked the temps on Sat night yet, but that sounds right. We had camp at about 2100 feet so there was some breeze also.

Took a little while longer than it should to set up but I expect I will get better at that with more practice. Slept very comfortably in it all night waking several times which is usual for me.

I can see it having some possible shortcomings with certain weather conditions (wind driven rain) but mostly it seems like a great little shelter.

Good luck with yours,
Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
I can see it having some possible shortcomings with certain weather conditions (wind driven rain) but mostly it seems like a great little shelter.
Hammocks can be colder than sleeping on the ground because the air below can be colder than the ground. The wind also can get below the user. One approach essentially threads the hammock inside a sleeping bag so the bag also insulates underneath. (Requires a separate fly and hammock body.) Another approach hangs an insulating layer below the hammock body. (Doable on a Hennessey, but might interfere with the entry.)

One design has a double-layer body so that one can slide insulation in between the layers.

Another consideration for hammocks is that an insulating pad (between the user and the hammock body) needs to be wider than a ground pad because it wraps up around you.

Rain may also be easier to deal with using a hammock with a separate fly.
1. Set up fly (essentially an 8x10 silnylon tarp).
2. Set up hammock under fly.
3. The fly can be set high or low depending on the wind.

Slept out in my (Speer) hammock Sat night--the low in nearby Pittsfield was 37F.

Doug

Last edited:
I started using a Hennessey about 6 years ago and rarely use my tent any more. I like the fact that it sets up very quickly and goes anywhere. No need for a cleared, level space. One of my favorite spots was pretty much right on the edge of a small cliff. I woke up the next morning looking out over a mist-filled valley. I've tried a few other camping hammocks but Hennessey is the one that got it right. I actually started with a cheap knockoff of a military jungle hammock and liked the experience but not the hammock. I came up with a whole list of ideas for improvements, then found that Hennessey had already implemented them, so I bought a Hennessey. My hiking buddies have also all converted to hammock camping.

The cold underneath (cold air flowing past compressed sleeping bag insulation) was definitely an issue for me, but I also use an ultralight pad and it works great.