Hi, I am new here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Z

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am Mike. I just got signed up to VFFT. I enjoy reading all your posts. Hopefully, you will be reading some of mine in the near future. I am new to winter hiking this year. I am hooked! I am watching my schedule and the weather, hoping to get in a day next week. I have a few thoughts of where to go, but always looking for suggestions too.
I don't want to bore you. Just wanted to say Hi.
Mike z

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.
You might notice that I moved your first post to 'General Backcountry' where more people will read and say 'hello'.

Alan

Welcome to site. Just remember the search feature can save you a lot of time as odds are most questions have been answered multiple times.

Hi all,
I am Mike. I just got signed up to VFFT. I enjoy reading all your posts. Hopefully, you will be reading some of mine in the near future. I am new to winter hiking this year. I am hooked! I am watching my schedule and the weather, hoping to get in a day next week. I have a few thoughts of where to go, but always looking for suggestions too.
I don't want to bore you. Just wanted to say Hi.
Mike z

Super! A fellow newbie to winter hiking! There is definitely a ton of good info in this forum from highly experienced hikers so definitely search previous threads and don't be afraid to ask questions. I have been pelting the members with my stupid questions for awhile now and have learned a great many things I'm sure it would have taken years to learn on my own. More than happy to field any questions you might have from the prospective of a relative beginner (good first hikes, rookie mistakes, etc). Welcome.

Thank you all for the tips.
Although I just got onto this site, I have been reading the posts and trip reports. There is always so much good information here. I was just not able to interact.
And, thank you Alan for taking care of this rookie.
Mike z

Last edited:
Hi Mike, welcome! Winter hiking is the best!! I hope to get in Jefferson or Monroe next weekend, all depending on weather of course. Where are you from?

Welcome Mike. New to winter but not new to hiking? Assuming not, I found it was good to go back and see how familiar places look covered in snow. (if you've only hiked in the Presidentials, you'll want a more gentle learning curve)

There are ways to obtain winter skills, taking courses, hiking with seasoned hikers and learning on your own.

I seem to recall my first couple of winters doing southern New England trips along the AT in CT (at some point it was a goal to do the CT section and its not hard) did Greylock by the road (side-steeping sleds) Bear, the Holyokes and Monadnock before doing Liberty. The next month I did a one day trip with EMS climbing school and then found some good people here to do some hiking with too.

Unless your real comfortable in the woods, winter soloing probably shouldn't be encouraged.

It's far easier to learn on smaller hikes what kind of glove & mitten combinations work well for you, boots and getting familiar with snowshoes and traction.

I am realizing that. This is my first winter of hiking although I have hiked the other 3 seasons forever. I love it. I think I have most of the gear. I'll be shopping for a new set of goggles. Lost them on Osceola a few weeks ago. I am trying to get to Garfield this week. So far Wednesday looks like the sunniest day do far. A bit cold to start but warming up during the day.
If I have my choice I would rather hike on days with a view. As long as I can fit it in my work schedule I will be there. Oh yeah, I am from Hudson mass.

Mike, I have done Monadnock 4 times. Like you said, I was testing my gear and clothing. A never really hiked alone until this year. I wanted to get the Tripyrimids in and my regular hiking buddy couldn't make it. It was close to peak for the foliage and I didn't want to miss that. So, I have been hiking solo since that trip seeing how my friend doesn't want to try winter hiking. I don't mind so much. I did Osceola a few weeks ago. That was fun. I am trying to get to Garfield this week. I think I would feel more comfortable going with someone on bigger hikes. Until then I will keep tramping along. I try to go on nicer days and watch my step a little closer. Who can resist?
MZ