Hike Mansfield on Friday, Feb. 4th?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cragster

Reaction score
Does anyone want to hike Mt. Mansfield this coming Friday? I have hiked it once before, in summer, but I would like to make a winter ascent at a moderate to moderately-fast pace (or, if I get no takers, any speed will be fine!) :)

I do a lot of solo hiking but it would be great to meet someone new. Reply here or drop me a PM.

- Craig

I have hiked it once before, in summer, but I would like to make a winter ascent...

If anyone reads this, cannot go, but can provide suggestions on winter-accessible trailheads other than the LT from VT-108, I would really appreciate it. I will plan to take my AT skis for any flat/approach sections and crampons in case the ridge is icy, so any AT/skin-friendly trail suggestions are much appreciated. I will be scouring the forums in parallel! Thanks in advance, - Craig

You can skin up the LT from 108 right up to treeline. Watch out for skiers coming down when you're near Chin Clip.

Sunset Ridge is a great snowshoe trip, but I would not want to skin up it.

The Teardrop Trail is an easy skin, but will put you up on the south end of the ridge, about 1.5 miles from the Chin. In good weather this would be the logical "ski mountaineering" route up and down if you want to avoid the Stowe side.

The Underhill side has a plowed lot that will be overflowing on Saturday after tomorrow's storm. Get there early if you want to be sure of having a decent spot to park. EDIT: Oops, Friday will probably not be so bad.

Last edited:
Sunset Ridge is a great snowshoe trip, but I would not want to skin up it.
Hmm, after reading trail descriptions in 3 books, I was set to skin in from Mountain Rd/Underhill S.P. and see how high I could get with the skins. But I will heed your advice.

The Teardrop Trail is an easy skin, but will put you up on the south end of the ridge, about 1.5 miles from the Chin. In good weather this would be the logical "ski mountaineering" route up and down if you want to avoid the Stowe side.
None of the maps in my books showed where the Teardrop Trail was, and only one described that it was near the junction of the CCC Rd. and Maple Ridge Trail. I've gotten a couple of PMs about "finding the Teardrop Trail" and "if you can find the Teardrop Trail". Is it that elusive?

The Underhill side has a plowed lot that will be overflowing...
Does the Teardrop trail end up at this plowed lot, and is it at the end of Stevensville Rd., or do you mean Mountain Rd.

Thanks SO much for the help!

None of the maps in my books showed where the Teardrop Trail was, and only one described that it was near the junction of the CCC Rd. and Maple Ridge Trail. I've gotten a couple of PMs about "finding the Teardrop Trail" and "if you can find the Teardrop Trail". Is it that elusive?

On the spectrum of Vermont backcountry skiing, the Teardrop is not elusive.

You should get a winter map of Mount Mansfield, as either of those will show it. For example:

http://www.mapadventures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=24

It is also described in David Goodman's backcountry skiing book.

Does the Teardrop trail end up at this plowed lot, and is it at the end of Stevensville Rd., or do you mean Mountain Rd.

I was referring to the Mountain Road, where there is parking at the end of plowing. This is not all the way to either Underhill State Park or the Teardrop. Head up the unplowed road, and it will be obvious where the Teardrop turns off because of all the ski tracks.

Just FYI, I'd rate the Teardrop a good bit more difficult than the Sherburne Trail at Tucks in terms of downhill skiing. I'm assuming that you are really skiing rather than, say, using Koflachs with AT bindings. Also, the Mansfield ridge has few cairns, so be prepared to locate white blazes on snowy rock for navigation.

There's more detail, but that would take all the adventure out of it; besides, I'm already worried that I've said too much and that TEO will send his goons after me!

Mansfield hike

I could do Saturday, but not Friday. NE67, 48x1winter

You should get a winter map of Mount Mansfield, as either of those will show it. It is also described in David Goodman's backcountry skiing book.
Thanks for the map link. I only have the NH version of the BC skiing book, and the local library did not have the VT version!

Just FYI, I'd rate the Teardrop a good bit more difficult than the Sherburne Trail at Tucks in terms of downhill skiing. I'm assuming that you are really skiing rather than, say, using Koflachs with AT bindings.
Thanks for the comparison to put it in perspective. I have skied both Sherburne & Gulf of Slides ski trail several times. My setup is BD Havocs w/ Fritschi Freeride AT bindings.