Hiker dies in VT attempting to cross flooded stream

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.mynbc5.com/article/missing-appalachian-trail-hikers-body-found/44678298
I had seen articles about this hiker being missing. First time I saw that his remains were located and the potential cause.

I did a crossing of Falling Waters this spring which made me quite concerned, if I was leading a group I definitely would have not done it, but I pulled it off just barely solo, had I missed it would have not gone well. The woods are so saturated that any afternoon thundershower can turn a stream crossing dangerous.

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/missing-appalachian-trail-hikers-body-found/44678298
I had seen articles about this hiker being missing. First time I saw that his remains were located and the potential cause.

I did a crossing of Falling Waters this spring which made me quite concerned, if I was leading a group I definitely would have not done it, but I pulled it off just barely solo, had I missed it would have not gone well. The woods are so saturated that any afternoon thundershower can turn a stream crossing dangerous.
Many years ago, I was descending the Falling Waters trail and I could not cross at the trail crossing at Cloudland Falls. I had to bushwhack downstream and ended up crossing on a desperate bark less tree over raging water. This was pre-dog days for me, no way I could have crossed there with a dog.

That must be the hiker whose trail name is Steady Eddie. I read about this on Trailjournals.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 87/115 (62/67, 23/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017; FHT EB 2023

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll