Hiker Rescue, Desolation Trail - "Frozen Feet"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you keep the silk socks from sliding down while you walk?
I gave up on them.
I have never had sock slide down on me, ever. Not sure why yours do? I do fit my socks snug, not like everyday socks which are looser.

The white ones were what was used in aircraft during the Korean War. There were also black ones that were used by the ground troops. The black ones were a bit lighter and less clunky and technically not quite as warm - but plenty warm. Hiking crampons would work ok - more a matter of technique. Snowshoes (pre the Sherpa revolution - they were wood and leather) were fine too. The biggest problem was the moisture build up because of the vapor barrier.

I did my first round of NH winter 4Ks (46 at the time) and NE winter 4Ks (63 at the time) in them, plus a multi day winter presi-traverse.

These boots are known as "Bunny Boots", and they are still used in Antarctica. The United States Antarctic Program (USAP) has a Clothing Distribution Center (CDC) that has a number of them for the use of science and support personnel when out in the "field".

I an actually finishing up a nonfiction children's book about the program and these boots are a big part of the story.

Here is a photo from the CDC with the bunny boots at the top. From talking to the director, IIRC it would appear that the bunny boots offer superior cold protection, but they do not have a very grippy sole so there is a trade off. For the program I am writing about, everyone wore bunny boots, although a few wore the black ones which was harder to find at the CDC.

Attachments

• 02_boots.JPG
    02_boots.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 1
These boots are known as "Bunny Boots", and they are still used in Antarctica. The United States Antarctic Program (USAP) has a Clothing Distribution Center (CDC) that has a number of them for the use of science and support personnel when out in the "field".

I an actually finishing up a nonfiction children's book about the program and these boots are a big part of the story.

Here is a photo from the CDC with the bunny boots at the top. From talking to the director, IIRC it would appear that the bunny boots offer superior cold protection, but they do not have a very grippy sole so there is a trade off. For the program I am writing about, everyone wore bunny boots, although a few wore the black ones which was harder to find at the CDC.
Those boots on the bottom shelf look pretty bitchin!