hiking poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masshysteria

Reaction score
When hiking poles came into general usage a few years ago, I thought they were a fad, with not a lot of usefulness. I started using a pair after a friend of mine told me they are handy to have around.
I have used them and do find them quite indespensible. But not as much as yesterday, while climbing Seymour. The trip down the muddy slide would have resulted in my ars getting broken if I didn't use poles.
I have often read reports where the poles were more of a hinderance in a bushwacking situation, but I found them handy on uphill and downhill climbs. I would also imagine that poles would be good on flat trails if you have ankles that tend to roll.
So go out and get a pair, you won't regret the investment!

I agree, next to my boots they are the most important piece of gear I won (I'm tall, so my center of gravity is higher and I used to slip a lot more prior to buying my Lekis).

The most benefit is decending, I put them well in front of me and take some of the stress off my legs/knees. On the way up I'll use them to pull myself up if I'm tired. Great to have in general for balance and loose rock.

I've never used them, and don't really have an inclination to try them...yet. I do get some knee pain on descents after a long hike, so maybe I'll give a single pole a try sometime. It would have to be very light and fully collapsable though. I don't think I'll ever have a desire to use them while ascending...

Ahhh poles are so great to have, esp. on the descent.

I find going up they are great but have no use when the going gets steep. They have helped me through some very wet spots with confidence. I find they are great to have when hiking the presidentials.

30 years ago, if I felt like it, I might use a properly-shaped piece of deadfall for a staff and then leave it at the trailhead for the next hiker. But now, I can't imagine going without my Lekis. True, on scrambles they can get in the way and on the flat they're useless, but my aging knees love 'em on descents and on steep trails they make ascents a little easier.

so maybe I'll give a single pole a try sometime.[/B]

If you're going to try pole, I would recommend using two of them to keep your balance. Using one pole will make you compensate to one side and in the long run bring back pain.

I also have been using hiking poles for quite a few years,
& compared to when I hiked w/out poles, they have helped me to achieve strength & speed on the ascent of steep trails (especially with a heavy pack on my back), they also help to shift the excess weight off of my knees to make the hike more of a full body workout by also using the strength of my arms to help me climb!

Poles are also great for balance when brook crossing, and really help me to navigate the trail more efficiently & quickly around branches & rocks while descending.

I agree with the fact that using 2 poles will help to keep the whole body more in balance/harmony.
Use the poles like they are an extension of your arms, & move your arms rythmically like you do while joggiing or even walking, & you'll see that the poles can actually make you feel like more of an efficient hiker. They do for me anyway!
If you've never tried trekking poles, check them out just once I think you'll be convinced !