Hiking the Baldfaces 10/18/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure those of you who have hiked the Baldfaces in Evans Notch would agree that it is one of the gems of the White Mountains. We had hiked the loop back in October 2001 and would hike them again as the final hike of our fall vacation. Mark and Natalie had planned the hike with Trish and invited us to come along. Later on, we found out that Dan and Janelle (aka Buffalo and Tough Cookie) would be joining the group.

We began the hike at 8:10 with Mark, Natalie, Trish, Hugh, Alex and Sage and we were to meet up with Dan and Janelle at the Baldface Knob Trail around 11:00.

After a break at the shelter, we began the climb up and over the ledges. (It didn’t seem like as many ledges the first time around for us).

Dan and Janelle met us at the junction at 11:30. We were all running a little later than originally planned due to the ledges.

After taking a short break, we continued along the ridge to the summit of South Baldface.

Here’s the group on the summit of South Baldface.

It was an easy 1.2 miles to the summit of North Baldface with its breathtaking 360 degree views. The weather was incredible on the summits where we took lengthly breaks taking in the incredible views.

We continued along to Eagle Crag which marked #40 for Dan and Janelle in their quest to complete the “52
With A View.”

As the time was getting ahead of us, we began our final miles back to the trailhead which we completed after dark. It was a fantastic day in the mountains for all of us. A wonderful opportunity to hike with our friends and make new friends too. In our book it doesn’t get any better than this.
Here’s the rest of the slideshow:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/26067198_s5XPcW#!i=2164772324&k=jbVpM55

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

We will have several more reports on our other hikes from the vacation this week.

Donna and Mike

Donna and Mike,
It was so great to not just meet but hike with you finally! Great pics, and a great hike. Janelle had a wonderful time, as did I. Thanks so much for including us in on the fun, and even climbing up to Eagle Crag with us. Let's do this again, and again!
Dan