hiking while one's car is at the mercy of incompetent beings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Anybody hiking this weekend in the Whites, passing through/near the Concord/Manchester area, and willing to take on a passenger? What's everyone up to? I am in the position of having a car with an "ornery" automatic transmission, unable to drive far or fast, with visions of car-fixing activities delayed awaiting replacement parts while knuckleheads at Toyota miscommunicate with my mechanic, on a 3-day weekend with weather that looks pretty good & the Goose Eye hike I had been trying to plan will almost certainly be postponed.

anyone? I will pay all gas $ (Hummers excepted; if you have a large SUV I'll pay part)

Oh, if it were possible to capture the sight of steam coming out of my ears I would use that as an avatar in a jiffy.

thanks everyone

...so after 7 visits to two mechanics and $1400 since early August, I finally have a new speedometer/odometer assembly and my car seems to be shifting normally at last. (though I was that close to reaching 200K! Argh!!!!!!! :mad: )
odometer.jpg

I really need to thank some people here publicly. Because of this @#$@#$ car problem I have not driven up to the Whites myself since 7/31/05. But since then, I've done 13 of the NH4K's and some other nice hiking every weekend. Many of those were made possible only through the generous offers of a ride from people who contacted me through this site.

So thanks to J.F., Double Bow, May, jessbee, Tuco, sapblatt, Tom Rankin, and SteveHiker -- you have helped me salvage a great hiking season!

Fix

Jason -
All of your fellow hikers understand what in means to be an addict and I for one was glad to be able to help you out while you were waiting for a fix! :D
Glad your car is back and running well!

Good news Jason!

Actually, I thought your car ran just fine, granted it was a 45 second ride. I felt perfectly safe the entire ride. :D

P.S. One of my treking poles ran away, did you happen to find it in your car?

Congrats on getting the car running again...looks like you'll be driving carpool for awhile now :p It was great hiking with you...seems like there have been an excess of excellent weather weekends this year, not that I'm complaining!

Hikes Friday (White Mt. 4k'er) & Mon-Wed in Oct. Katahdin

Jason,

At least 1 friend of mine, & poss another 2 respondees, are going to do the Wildcats this Friday.

Then next week, I'll be doing Katahdin (see the thread in Forums) before they close it down for the winter.

Interested?

-Matt

Had lots of fun hiking with you this summer - still have a month left of comfortable hiking weather (hopefully) so I shall see you on the trails in the whites again soon! Possibly interested on your post for Friday's hike. May be in touch.