Hitchcock's 1890 relief map on No. NH restored

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big job; big map. It's 12' x 16' and weighs nearly 1.5 tons. I wonder what the one at Pinkham weighs. Anyone know anything about the history of the vogue for these maps? They are produced in lightweight plastic versions now.

http://www.unh.edu/news/cj_nr/2010/aug/bp09map.cfm

These might help:

Univ. of NH page on Hitchcock's Atlas

Google Books scan of Hitchcock's 1874 "Geology of New Hampshire"

I've down-loaded the later and found it just full of marvelous stuff, including a virtual travelogue of Coos County.

Something similar is also in the works from the NH State Parks Historic Bureau, and is planned to be temporarily displayed at the Flume visitor center.

Recently discovered in storage in the former Forestry Warehouse in Concord, is a room-sized raised relief map of the State Of NH. The story is that the WPA in the 1930's offered to create such a map for each of the states, but not all states took up the offer, NH did. Also not sure if any others produced still survive.

When the warehouse was recently sold, state employees cleaning and moving items from the building discovered it's existence. It has been undergoing restoration in Keene, and will eventually be ready for public display.

I will keep an ear out for when this is planned, sorry for the vagueness, and post here. I knew about this earlier in the summer and was dying to share, but figured I would wait until a display date was ready to be announced (in order to save calls that would be responded- "Don't know yet"....), but this post begged the addition.