I got the last Laugh-ayette on NOAA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
After missing calm, if not obscured, conditions on Washington this Sunday, I, along with you, and everyone else, was watching the Presidential forecast like a raven over Bondcliff. We all saw potential for Tuesday and/or Wednesday. By late Monday, the various sources seemed to converge on Wednesday being warmer by some 20 degrees, but with damaging winds. Tuesday, however, was a different story, with the winds being anywhere from 8MPH to 45-55MPH with higher gusts. We dissolved our Presidential attempt and called it a night. I promised myself to sleep until the school alarm clock went off, check the forecast, and if it looked good, to tag Lafayette and Lincoln. If you are reading this, you obviously know how things went.

IMG_9472.JPG
IMG_9478.JPG

The Agonies, Lincoln and Lincoln's Throat from the First Agony

When I left the house at 7:30, the Cannon Mesonet station read 34+ MPH and -3 degrees. But the forecast was for warming and the winds were to lessen. In the Falling Waters parking lot, it was cold and breezy, but there were other cars and some people were heading up "at least to the hut". I geared up and turned left at the split to get Lafayette first on the idea that the wind at my back was the better choice. I wore snowshoes, although few if any others did. At the Agonies, Drew Peterson caught me while I was taking photos, and we hiked together and chatted for most of the rest of the day.

IMG_9480.JPG
IMG_9481.JPG

Greenleaf Hut below North Lafayette, Lafayette from Greenleaf Hut

There was very little wind at all on the Agonies and only a slight breeze at the hut. The sun was very bright, and March-strong, so it was comfortable even without a shell. Right before emerging from the scrub, however, we put on heavier gloves, hats, shells, and pocketed masks, goggles and balaclavas for easy access. Part way up the slope, Drew stopped to put on crampons because there were stretches of blue ice. My snowshoe crampons were digging in to my satisfaction so I kept them on (for the duration of the hike.)

IMG_9491.JPG
IMG_9492.JPG

Twin Range and Presidential Range, Garfield

Amazingly, this was only my third time on Lafayette, and the first time with completely clear skies. It was also the first time since January of 2009, making it the least-recently visited peak of the 48 for me. I went around to the east side of the cone and ate a sandwich while enjoying the unlimited visibility and waiting for Drew to catch up. From here to Lincoln, I wore a face mask and goggles, along with a hat and a hood, and was actually quite comfortable. We encountered a few groups coming the other way, but it wasn't warm enough to do more than say hi.

IMG_9494.JPG
IMG_9495.JPG

The Bonds, Lincoln

Descending Lafayette for Lincoln there was sufficient snow to leave the snowshoes on, although coming off Lincoln it was a bit thin. It was pretty wind scoured between the peaks, but there were occasional knee-deep drifts. Walking was complicated by enjoying the views instead of watching where I was going ;) We stopped on North Lincoln very briefly before continuing on the Lincoln. The stop here was photos-only, and we skirted the bare rock on our way to The Gargoyles. There was enough snow on them today to make them look even cooler than usual, and we stopped to photograph them from several angles.

IMG_9506.JPG
IMG_9513.JPG

The Gargoyles, Lincoln from Little Haystack

One of my favorite pictures I've ever taken is Lincoln from Little Haystack, poking above the undercast. Today you couldn't buy a cloud if your life depended on it, and it turns out the view of Lincoln is every bit as fine. Here, Drew decided to continue on to Liberty and Flume, while I headed down. At Cloudland Falls, I heard voices and it turned out to be Drew abandoning the attempt due to unbroken and deep snow.

I have to say that this is definitely one of the highlight hikes, if not the highlight of the Winter 2012 hiking season. I hope to get the family to do the loop this summer.

All Photos

Enjoy,
Tim

Very nice!

Apologies if I misread your TR, but did you snowshoe the whole ridge? How much bare ice? And finally, did it look like anyone had headed over past Haystack to Liberty and Flume?

GREAT pictures - Franconia Ridge is definitely a classic WM hike, glad you finally got to enjoy it in the clear - I know it took me a few tries, too. :)

Very nice!

Apologies if I misread your TR, but did you snowshoe the whole ridge? How much bare ice? And finally, did it look like anyone had headed over past Haystack to Liberty and Flume?

GREAT pictures - Franconia Ridge is definitely a classic WM hike, glad you finally got to enjoy it in the clear - I know it took me a few tries, too. :)

Here, Drew decided to continue on to Liberty and Flume, while I headed down. At Cloudland Falls, I heard voices and it turned out to be Drew abandoning the attempt due to unbroken and deep snow.

I wore snowshoes car-to-car. From treeline to the summit could be crampon country - I have brand new Flex Alps with sharp traction. There were spots of ice and spots of bare rocks between the peaks, but I would say it was 95% snow-covered. Those not wearing snowshoes were wearing microspikes or Hillsounds, except for Drew, who wore his G10s.

Tim

It also took me until my 3rd try to get a nice day on Lafayette. I was beginning to wonder what the fuss was about. :D Franconia sure has been serving up some nice days this winter, though!

Nice TR and pictures! :)

Excellent trip report, Tim, thanks. Seems like you had a great day while I was sucking it up at work. I'm hoping to do the entire ridge the weekend of the 17th/18th; hope the weather cooperates. I guess the ridge between Little Haystack and Liberty isn't often well traveled/broken-out?

And, oh, great photographs!

Excellent trip report, Tim, thanks. Seems like you had a great day while I was sucking it up at work. I'm hoping to do the entire ridge the weekend of the 17th/18th; hope the weather cooperates. I guess the ridge between Little Haystack and Liberty isn't often well traveled/broken-out?

And, oh, great photographs!

No, it is (was) not broken out recently as of Tuesday. Most winter peakbaggers do the ridge in two parts, so that middle stretch doesn't see a lot of traffic. If we had both elected to go, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

I hope you get your traverse in.

Tim

Great pics and TR. I was fortunate on my first attempt last July to have a cloudless sky like you did and it was breathtaking! One of my favorite hikes alltime. :cool: Would be fun to add a winter traverse of it.

A full winter traverse, including the Osseo (which I have not done) is on my bucket list.

Sadly, at the moment, NOAA is laughing at me... I only need one more above-treeline day. Pretty please with snowflakes on top?

Tim

Well, Tim (and Scotzman, if you're interested)- that is exactly what I'd like to do on either the 17th or 18th (weather permitting, of course) - Schkookum to Osseo. If you don't get around to this traverse by then, and if the weather looks good, let me know and we'll knock this one out that weekend together.