I have a dream...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie70

Reaction score
...that someday I will find the perfect pair of low rise hiking pants/shorts (useful background info: I am a girl). And now I'm taking my dream public and looking for help.

Before I get heckled for worrying about "like trail fashion and stuff," I would like to make it clear that style is not part of this dream. I am not looking to rock the vaunted belly baring shirt (and anyway the pack strap would block that), and I am not worried about my image (as far as i'm concerned, the goofier the get-up, the better...see e.g. last spring's knee-length shorts and fleece tights combo).

No. This dream is about comfort. Ever since my middle school revelation that matching sweatsuit ensembles were not the height of fashion caused me to switch over to jeans, I have been wearing low rise pants. It's just what's on the market for today's young women.

So when I started to look for hiking pants/shorts, I was horrified to discover that I am no longer able to wear pants that hit above the hips or...gasp...even the belly button. It's just not comfortable. My skin's not used to it, there are wedgie problems, and i swear it collapses my lungs just a little. :rolleyes:

I haven't found any shorts that even come close to being low-waisted, and thus I have taken to wearing skirts while hiking in the summer. Not something I ever expected to do, but it's miraculously comfortable. I think I actually need to invest in a real hiking skirt (right now I use lightweight cotton skirts that were not purchased with the mountains in mind). So as far as summer hiking goes, suggestions for hiking skirts or shorts would be great.

In the colder weather I have a pair of Prana pants that are as close as I have come to achieving my dream. Then when it's real cold I wear long underwear of various sorts and my boyfriend's windshield pants (both of which have roomy elastic waists that I can pretty much wear where I want). But I'd love any other pant suggestions.

Thanks!!

Yeah, I have had the same problem. I have gotten so used to low rise jeans that all regular waist pants/shorts/jeans etc feel strange and worse cause rubbing etc. I have found that the best thing to do is shop at Walmart or Target in their "exercise" clothing section. I buy non-cotton synthetics with low rise waists. These are what work best. They are also cheap. I am sure others will have more expensive brand name suggestions but I have yet to find anything that has low rise waists in hiking and skiing clothing sections.

Good Luck !!!

sli74

I for one vote for women wearing low rise skirts and pants and bearing their navels while hiking.... :D

Welll.. now that I think about it, Was that wrong???? 'Cause if someone would have told me I can't say sexist things like that on VFFT........ (Costanza...Seinfeld.... "Cleaning Lady on the Desk" episode....Anybody...Anybody....?)

Last edited:
Eddie70 said:
...that someday I will find the perfect pair of low rise hiking pants/shorts (useful background info: I am a girl). And now I'm taking my dream public and looking for help.

You might want to check out a couple women specific sites. One I have found with decent clothes is Title Nine.

Another site I've never purchased from, used to be called 'Wild Roses', but looks to be bought out by Outdoor Research and is called 'OR Woman' now.

carole said:
You might want to check out a couple women specific sites. One I have found with decent clothes is Title Nine.

I've looked at Title Nine's stuff before and it always looked good...but I didn't know anyone who had worn their clothes. Now that I have confirmation that the clothes are good, I'll have to give them a go. :)

And that OR Women site looks intriguing too. Thanks!

Slippage?

A problem I sometimes have while hiking is that my pack waist strap gradually causes my shorts/pants to slip lower and lower on my butt to the point where they start to intefere with my scrambling mobility. I have to make sure I wear a belt and cinch it up real tight before I set out. Low-rise shorts, aside from looking grotesque on me, would be impossible.

Rick, I think you're safe from being sexist as long as you favor bearing navels as opposed to baring navels.

And I agree with Bob that pants seem to have a habit of sliding down and becoming low rise whether I like it or not.