Ice-ipees

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Actually, the Icy (!) Ossipees - Mt Roberts and beyond, 1/28/12

I continued wandering around the Lakes Region, exploring some of the lower peaks. Actually, I started this hike by wandering around the bottling plant for the Castle in the Clouds. I often have trouble just finding the trailheads even when I can find the parking lot as was the case this time... Hadn't been to Mt Roberts that I remembered, so, I took a look. It was a glassy wonderland... as a result, the parking lot, tho plowed, was slllllliiipery!!!!

As I was hiking in a circle around the bottling plant, I came across staghorn sumac that looked like a Christmas ornament:

P1000391-staghorn.jpg

Finally, I headed up the road towards the pond and found the trails. I think I'm one of the few people who "needs" those signs that say, "ALL TRAILS THIS WAY ->" :)

A little further up the ridge, the rain had made these parallel stress fractures on a large swath of hardwoods. This one one reminded me of a tornado:

P1000400-icetree.jpg

A closer look:

P1000399-closeupoftree.jpg

Many ledges on the way to the summit - ice in all directions:
P1000398-icypath.jpg

From the summit outlook, I could see the long ridge from Whiteface to Passaconaway. In another direction, Washington stood out:

P1000402-george.jpg

I pretty much had the ascent to myself as I continued on to Faraway on the old carriage roads. I have never seen so many switchbacks-- it was like an ant hill. I think as the crow flies I only hiked about a quarter mile. It just took me forever to get anywhere!!! If it weren't so icy, it would be nice for XC skis. So, instead, I used microspikes half the time and, when things warmed up, switched to snowshoes at turnaround time. On the descent the crowds showed up nearing Mt Roberts and the ledges below it.

One of the viewpoints is of the field below:

P1000405-fieldfromoutlook.jpg

It was a super-pretty day! I hope you enjoy! ~Becca