Ice season is coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That picture of Barry Blanchard soloing "The Terminator", is insane!
The Nordic Center Trail around the area of Mt Rundle is just incredible, and has some unbelievable early season ice!

Thanks for the link :p

I'm curious -- are there any ice climbers planning on going to the winter gathering in January? I wouldn't mind devoting a day to a few pitches somewhere -- Frankenstein maybe?

Mark

Ice cann't get her soon enough. Why would you put those tools in the back of the closet? I hang mine on the wall in the living room. Nice conversation piece.

I put them in the closet because I can't bear to look at them unused!!!!!

:(

Ice Tools

A few years ago I read somewhere that Stephen King wanted someone to give him an ice tool so that he could write a novel around it - he thought something so lethal looking would make for a good murder story. (I can only imagine him writing about an adze stuck in someone's skull!) I keep my ice tools in my truck sometimes when I have to work late. I figure they'd be good for self-protection if I ever needed them... It's also interesting to see the expressions on my customers' faces when I show them the ice axes - "oh my dear, you really swing those"? Yes, and I scale ice cubes with 12 points stuck on each foot too! Some people just don't understand how that constitutes fun - freezing cold with chunks of ice raining down on our heads - oh boy!

"Those who pause before taking a step spend their life on one leg".

kathiecamper said:
A few years ago I read somewhere that Stephen King wanted someone to give him an ice tool so that he could write a novel around it - he thought something so lethal looking would make for a good murder story. (I can only imagine him writing about an adze stuck in someone's skull!)

Lawrence Sanders has written a murder mystery where an ice axe is the murder weapon:

Lawrence Sanders - 1st Deadly Sin (December)
A well-dressed man stalks the high-class neighbourhoods of New York City. He is armed with an ice axe. His victims are strangers. One cop, Captain Ed Delaney, must solve a series of bizarre murders that defy logic.

Remember that Leon Trotsky was killed with an ice axe.

He was one of the "Three Who made a Revolution," Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky.

He was murdered some years after the revolution, I think in Mexico. Some say by Stalin's henchmen, because Stalin could brook no rivalry.