If at first you don't succeed, trudge trudge again (abraham ME, 3/11/2007)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno

Reaction score
This is a re-attempt TR for a trip this past sunday (3/11/07) on Mount Abraham in Maine.

On 1/20/2007 I set out with a friend Pete at the trailhead of Mt Abraham. We were able to park our car right at the trailhead. yea! This was a cold day (-5 close to the summit, and 60+ mph winds). We decided about 1/10 mile from the summit to bag going to the summit and go back down as the going was too slow with the deep snow above treeline, and the weather was too severe on the ridge heading towards the summit. Any mistake could have been a major problem. (Note, this was the same day the hiker got lost on Lafayette, harsh conditions).

Photos of the 1/20/2007 trip are here:
http://sopomedia.com/trips/2007/abraham_01-20-2007/

Fast forward to Sunday 3/11/07. We decided to re-attempt the mountain, and were successful this day, though the work was much harder than we had planned.

To begin with, the road to the trailhead had turned into a snowmobile trail. Though I have 4wd, I only attempted about 100 yards of this in the car before backing up. So, we started 3 miles away from trailhead (based on my gps reading of where the trailhead was on the 1/20 trip).

We got to the trailhead after about an hour. The unbroken trail was crusty wet and heavy snow up to the cabin. With my msr wings on I was sinking only about 6-8 inches down, but with the weight of the snow on top of the show for each step it made for slow going. It took longer than we expected to get to the cabin. Saw some tracks that almost looked like they came from a disney movie. I think they were a fox, not sure though. See photos link below and let me know what you think.

From the cabin up to the end of the trees, the snow was much dryer, so it wasn't as difficult because of the heavy snow, though we were still dealing with some deep snow. There were a lot of moose tracks on the trail almost the whole way to the end of the trees. Lots of tracks, many 'bedding down' places, and if you are a seller of moose poop, come here to get it cause there's a lot of it :).

As with our previous attempt, there were deer tracks that went all the way up to the summit. I was very surprised at seeing this. The moose tracks and bedding were up around 3500 feet (a guess), and the deer tracks continued on beyond that. We figured that the deer must be a reincarnated hiker enjoying sunrises on the summit.

Once above treeline, the going was much easier. Less snow then our last trip, and much of it was crusty and easier to navigate then below treeline. We got up to the summit, enjoyed the view for a short while, took a few photos, then headed on down.

Nothing exciting on the way down. We cruised as fast as we could to get back to our car. It was starting to get dark as we left the trailhead, and we started using flashlights not long after. We did surprise some snowmobilers with our flashlights when they came up to us (we weren't using them yet, but would be within few minutes of seeing the sledders.) We flashed our lights so they would see us.

We got back to our car at 8:24pm (we started around 9am). We were pretty exhausted. 14 miles through some heavy snow. A nice warm day (just polypro on top except above treeline). A great day for a long hike.

photos of 3/11/2007 hike are here:
http://sopomedia.com/trips/2007/Abraham_03-11-2007/

The tracks were bigger than my ski pole ends, I want to say around 3.5-4 inches wide. I think larger than a hare.

Toe Cozy said:
Check out this link about hares. Their back feet can be huge and furry and just the kind of thing for snowshoeing across deep Abraham snow! Pretty cool! I love seeing hare tracks in the woods. Here

great site, thanks! I had no idea they could get that big. After seeing the Wallace and Gromit "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" movie, I should have known! Now I must head to the fridge for some cheese. :)

Obviously, those are the tracks of the rare and elusive Onestep!! ...
Your photos brought back great memories- Abraham is one of my favorite peaks, especially in Winter!! Glad you had a good time!!

You have no idea how glad I am you posted this report -- I was planning on doing this bad boy tomorrow or maybe the next day and I had NO idea if there was a broken trail up to the top :)

I may do it friday because it'll be colder that day -- the wet sticky snow here is NOT fun to hike in (did bigelows today.. took a LONG time)

Last edited:
marchowes said:
You have no idea how glad I am you posted this report -- I was planning on doing this bad boy tomorrow or maybe the next day and I had NO idea if there was a broken trail up to the top :)
I may do it friday because it'll be colder that day -- the wet sticky snow here is NOT fun to hike in (did bigelows today.. took a LONG time)
I am very happy to have anyone take advantage of the broken trail Pete and I made on Abraham. I will be playing in NH this weekend, but may try the bigelows on Tuesday. If I do, thanks in advance for breaking trail. I agree, its a lot of work.

I was also on Saddleback and the Horn last weekend right after all the snow we had. The snow was perfect powder but very deep and unbroken off the summits. We were going to attempt Saddleback through the Crockers, but bagged because of the amount of work involved. Had a nice night out on the north side of the Horn though. Haven't created a TR yet, but the photos are here if you're interested. I will try to post a TR tomorrow. Photos:
http://sopomedia.com/trips/2007/Saddleback-Horn/index.html

mhrsebago said:
Obviously, those are the tracks of the rare and elusive Onestep!! ... Your photos brought back great memories- Abraham is one of my favorite peaks, especially in Winter!! Glad you had a good time!!
Thanks mhrsebago! Your response makes me think of the deer hiking to the top of the mountain on both 1/20 and 3/11. It amazed me to see its tracks up there, I think the deer likes it as much or more than I do. Definitely a great mountain I will visit again many times.

Last edited: