Igloo time!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Wow! Just wow!
A bunch of friends and I rented a chalet near Rawdon, Qc, last weekend and after a snowshoe outing, we started building an igloo near the chalet with my homemade icebox clone. I still can't believe how great it turned out. Last time we tried doing an igloo, it was pouring rain and the igloo started to sag noticebly. This time though......wow!

Construction started at 15:00 and ended at almost 1:00am the next day. We did take about 3 hrs worth of breaks/supper during that time though. We started with 4 people for the first couple of rows (things were moving along real quick: 40 min to do 3 rows!). Someone's feet got cold though so we went in the chalet to warm ourselves a bit and drink a beer and discuss how we were going to proceed from there on. We went back outside all 4 of us and continued working. However, as the sun went down, the snow consistancy changed and we had to wait a lot longer for each block to settle. Near the top, (last row or so), we ended up waiting a good 8-10 minutes for each block to settle. We put the extra rest time to fashion a nice doorway and install the window (I had put a pyrex out filled with water the night before so it created a nice, flat, rectangular block of ice).

Points of interests:
1) The igloo is 9' in diameter
2) The entrance is 3' below the igloo's floor
3) Construction took 7 hrs (less than ideal snow conditions)
4) At one point, we were 9.6 (with little fish 6/9th on the way) people sitting in the igloo
5) We could of confortably slept 3 people in the igloo, lots more if we were wanted to be cramped like sardines

Unfortunately, even though we had all our stuff to camp out that night, my girlfriend had an allergic reaction, so I kept her company during the night...however this is not my last igloo! :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/dpoisson/IglooRawdon2009#

Fish