In need of some mountain lovin'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElBrendano

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been an avid (almost obsessive) lurker on VFTT. Could never have made it up all the NEHH peaks in Maine (which I did when in college) without everyone's helpful trip reports. Sadly, I now go to grad school in Indiana and seldom make it back here (and when I do, it's usually around the holidays). I will be in the Northeast again next week but without my snowshoes and crampons. What I'd really like next week is to spend a day or two just hiking to the top of a mountain and enjoying the view. A peak from the list I haven't climbed (I've hiked all the NEHH in Maine, about half in NH, and none in VT) would be optimal, but really anything with a great view from the top would be great, provided I can bareboot it up. I really have no idea what to expect this year, having wintered in Maine from 2002-2005 I have some idea how snowy things can be, but this year seems different. Any advice on where barebooting is possible would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Brendan

p.s. my NH wishlist includes Cabot, Carrigain, the Carters , Hancocks, Wildcats, Weeks ,Hale, Willey, Nancy

Hey Brenden,
welcome to the non-lurking side of things! (We aren't that scary, really.)

I really wouldn't recommend barebooting at all this time of year, even in a down snow year like this one. There can still be a lot of ice on the trails at those higher elevations. That being said, you could probably make it to the summit of any of those in bareboots, just expect some slipping, sliding, and falling on your derriere.

Of the peaks you listed, I suspect Hale would be the easiest without traction devices, and there are some nice areas through some beaver ponds if you loop around past Zealand Hut. I think Cabot probably isn't too bad, but I'm not too sure; the view from (The Horn or The Bulge, I always mix them up) is worth it. The Hancocks and Carrigain require some tricky stream crossings via the standard approaches (assuming it's a mix of running water with icy rocks).

The Wildcats and Carters have some nice views (esp. nearby Mt. Hight), but I'm guessing the approaches will be dicey without traction right now.

Have you considered barebooting up Mount Ellen or Camels Hump in Vermont? Or is that too far from where you're coming from?

Two ideas

Hi Brendan:

You might also consider either renting some snowshoes, or purchasing stabilicers, and sticking to more popular trails. Stabilicers are mighty handy as an item in your 'arsenal', when conditions don't call for crampons. There are plenty of threads discussing them.

Ed

The lack of snow has meant a LOT of ice. Especially from the rains of last weekend. We were on the summit of Moosilauke on Christmas, and the trail there was just a solid frozen puddle; the trail sign had a inch thick of glare ice on one side with an inch thick of rime ice on the other.

And it's not just the summits. The trail for the top couple of miles was just as bad, as all the rain runoff froze solid everywhere.

You will definitely want/need some kind of traction device if you're at any kind of higher elevation.