Indian Pass & MacNaughton as loop from Upper works, 8/25/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff Reiter

Reaction score
A very long loop involving substantial trailless component. Be well prepared before attempting. This combines two classic approaches to MacNaughton that allows it to be done as a loop that passes through Indian Pass

Route: Upper works to Indian Pass, through the pass and ascend to Scott pond and Wallface pond. Trailless ascent of MacNaughton, descending the far side using the stream near hunters pond and return to Upper works.

Trail conditions: the trail toward Indian pass is very wet and usually wide; if it were a bit deeper, you could use a canoe. Expect lots of mud. On the final ascent into the pass, the mud gives way to wet slippery moss covered rocks in many spots. Really lovely. Wallface is stunning from summit rock and I got to watch a climber on the wall. Descent beyond the pass is mossy green lush giving way to mud. Trail pulls away from the river which seems out of the way and muddy anyway. At the old dam at the junction where the trail to scotts pond begins, it is dry and the trail is good on the first part of the ascent. Soon it levels and the mud returns. Scotts pond is a lovely quiet place. Trail to Wallface is muddy in spots and very muddy toward the end, but it had been underwater a couple years ago, so I presume a beaver dam somewhere is a couple feet lower. At Wallface pond the trail turns to herdpath, after the beaver dam crossing (between the ponds) there are some plastic tags in the trees, eventually I gave up looking for herdpath and simply ascended. Some herdpaths on the ridge. I think the old “3rd peak” sign is gone. Descending between the 1st and 2nd peaks the stream appears soon enough. Some herdpaths, and I followed them more than previously, but sticking to the stream serves well too. Huge slant wall cascade is a highlight of the descent. Could look for the herdpath or do an awkward climb on the opposite side, but my advice is to get your feet wet. Soon the route meets the trail near hunter pond. The trail is muddy but the striking thing is there is quite a bit of blowdown on the trail. In fact, there are many well established “round abouts” that by-pass muddy spots and blowdown. Nice views of Preston pond and Henderson lake on the way back to upper works.

Gear: good boots, maps-compass (gps); many would want gaiters for the mud and pants for the trailless.

Pics (2nd part of):
http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~reiterc/hikes/adir/2009/08_e/index.html

Comment: Lovely route despite the mud. I had forgotten how long this route takes and think it a better choice for long June days.

Last edited: