info on the Seward range?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markandkelly

Reaction score
on top of Haystack, our 46th and our engagement!
We are hoping to hike the Sewards and Seymour this weekend and were wondering what suggestions/information anyone might have on these peaks. Will the hikes be very wet? Do the herd paths go right up brooks? Is the Corey's Road driveable past the bridge?

Oh yeah, and has anyone had any encounters with bears yet this spring?

The gate is still locked so you'll be walking, or swiming in certain sections, to the summer trailhead. If you've made it that far you will probably need a wetsuit to the lean-tos. Seward from Ward Book Lean-to....this time of year.......I've been up to my ankles in in water in June...and October!

Happy Trails!
Barb

Rick said:
'Course, you get yourself really stuck in a nice deep one and you may ultimately become bear food.

Or fall into one, only to be greeted by a waking (and hungry) bear! :D

Bring 50lbs of wild berries to bear-proof yourself.

everything is pretty much at flood stage, poured like heck today and was 44F. they say 68F for sunday, so yeah, it'll be wet.

the gate is maybe 1/4 mile past the bridge? my boss just came back from duck hole that way 2 days ago and said ward brook trail is typical muck but the trail along the raquette is not bad, they cut over from duck to raquette falls all the time, you're always lots drier staying off the herd paths, I'd guess going the way these guys go is the driest; following the trail along the raquette to the cut off for caulkins brook, cross that and head up seward, reverse it to come back.

they said in their log entry that it is fairly deep snow and ice, lots of packed ice in places. saw three bear tracks. used snowshoes the whole way.