Irishtown Snowmobile Trail - Minerva

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiseAboveHiker

Reaction score
Anyone out there hike or XC ski the Irishtown Snowmobile Trail that runs along Minerva Stream and borders the Hoffman Notch Wilderness. It's pictured on the top right corner of the ADK Central Region Guide Map and goes up to Lester Flow and Cheney Pond. I'm just wondering if anyone's been on it and what the trail conditions and scenery are like. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I know some people who have mountain biked it. In fact, I'd like to MB it! It was years ago, but as I recall most of the trail is on old wood roads. Which makes sense because the old dam at Lester Flow was installed by Finch Pruyn to float logs down the Boreas, and there are quite a few hunting camps on the Irishtown end. I have heard that you're are best travelling N to S due to elevation change, though I haven't checked that, it also makes sense. Let me know if you want company when you do it! I'm headed up to my camp in Tahawus today to do some fishing and hiking, and I drive right past Irishtown road and right past the Blue Ridge road. I've fished Cheney pond quite a bit, but I've never done the trail and I've always wanted to!:D

KenG said:
I know some people who have mountain biked it. In fact, I'd like to MB it! It was years ago, but as I recall most of the trail is on old wood roads. Which makes sense because the old dam at Lester Flow was installed by Finch Pruyn to float logs down the Boreas, and there are quite a few hunting camps on the Irishtown end. I have heard that you're are best travelling N to S due to elevation change, though I haven't checked that, it also makes sense. Let me know if you want company when you do it! I'm headed up to my camp in Tahawus today to do some fishing and hiking, and I drive right past Irishtown road and right past the Blue Ridge road. I've fished Cheney pond quite a bit, but I've never done the trail and I've always wanted to!:D

i was up on Cheney pond last year and that trail that goes to lester flow looked like it was highly overgrown.....

i agree though, that trail looks like it would be great to ride, also getting back to the old dam site.....

Gary Thomann's MB guide

Yeah, I hear it is a great ride - except for the water crossing. I am hoping to ride or run it this spring or as soon as I get a chance!

So many routes and so little time......:D

That trail is often overgrown, but someone, I don't know who, clears it occassionally. I'll check it out this trip, and report back next week. We should find out how many people would be interested in mountain biking it, and set a date. We'd have to set up a shuttle. What do you think?

sounds like a plan!

Midweek works best for me. I am still undecided if I want to ride or run. My thought was to do an outNback since I was unsure about the stream/dam crossing.

More later,

I'd be up for mountain biking it, but it would have to be on a weekend or a monday for me to join in, however come July I could do it on a weekday if that works out best with iceNsnow's schedule.

KenG -- I'm not sure if you're the same KenG from the ADKforum, but if so we seem to be answering each other's posts. Prime example of the favor/favor system at work.

I'm surprised at the response this little-used trail is garnering. Just goes to show that even the obscure sections of the Adirondacks stimulate interest.

Holy #%$@! I just realized that I'm a member, not a junior member! WOW, doesn't that feel special!:D

KenG -- Anything to report back on the trail?

As far as dates: I could swing a Saturday, Sunday or Monday either this weekend (6/5, 6/6 or 6/7) or the following weekend (6/12, 6/13 or 6/14). How do any of these dates mesh with everyone else's schedule?

I could also do something later in the month or later in the summer if the above dates don't work out for anyone.

later in the summer

It looks like later in the summer or early fall would be best for me. Besides the trails should be drier by then. But let's keep posted.
:)

Later is better for me also

I'll be away this weekend and in the Santanonis the following weekend.

Hi, I'm baaack! I checked out the trail, and it is slightly over grown, but manageable I think. I just got back last night so I can't really say if I'm ready for next weekend, I've got to get some stuff done around the old homestead, but I'll let you know ASAP.:D