Is Glencliff Trail Snowshoe Worthy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
I'm considering hitting South Peak via Glencliff Trail tomorrow. It's been several years since I've hiked this trail, and I've never done it during the winter. Based on recent weather events (snow), and the characteristics of this trail, do you think it'd be over-kill to attempt it via snowshoes? Like many others, I haven't yet had a chance to use my snowshoes this year, and I was hoping with the recent snowfall from this past weekend, I'd get a chance tomorrow via Glencliff. Can anyone vouch for current trail conditions?
I was hoping to leave the stabilicers/cramps behind and snowshoe the entire trail to South Peak. Thanks.

I'd use the snowshoes and leave the others at home. You certainly will not need the crampons, though about half way up you'll run into about 100 yards of layered water ice (probably snow covered by now) and the snow would be too deep for Stabilicers to be very effective. I was there two weekends ago and the conditions were changing from a Stabilicer track to a snowshoe track.

JohnL

Last edited:
JohnL said:
I'd use the snowshoes and leave the others at home. You certainly will not need the crampons, though about half way up you'll run into about 100 yards of layered water ice (probably snow covered by now) and the snow would be too deep for Stabilicers top be very effective. I was there two weekends ago and the conditions were changing from a Stabilicer track to a snowshoe track.

JohnL

Thanks JohnL. I was hoping to hear that.