Isolation via Glen Boulder?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hiked Isolation last week - up Glen Boulder and down Rocky Branch. We had a car spot to avoid the road walk. We didn't do any of the bushwhacks to avoid the crossings, but I was quite happy doing it this way - after three trips to Isolation, I think this would be my recommended day hike to Isolation.

The wetness on Rocky Branch was definitely annoying, but there was no risk or difficulty in the water crosses. Glen Boulder was gorgeous coming up, but looked like it would require some caution coming down and might be very nasty coming down if it was wet. All five of us agreed we were glad we weren't coming down that way even when dealing with the muck on Rocky Branch.

Glen Boulder was gorgeous coming up, but looked like it would require some caution coming down and might be very nasty coming down if it was wet.

I am the trail adopter for the upper section of Glenn Boulder....it IS nasty when it is wet btween the boulder and the drop off into tree line. As I get older and become more of a chicken sh!t I might opt for some trail I can access with my walker and grub hoe.

I would agree that the Glen Boulder is an especially tedious descent. I went to Isolation that way and back, and found the section coming down between the boulder and the road to be one my least enjoyable descents in 100+ white mountain hikes in that its big rocks in the trail bed makes you step down a few feet each step for the few miles with no let up, not enjoyable at the end of a long day. The extra uphill getting from Isolation back up to the Glen Boulder is moderate pitch, but depending on conditioning, could be tiring at that point too. It is a more scenic way to go though, thats for sure!

Not much more to add to the excellent comments above. But, here are the numbers for seven routes to Iso, all out and back by the same route. If you can afford the carbon footprint of spotting a second vehicle, you can mix and match the routes below by dividing each distance below in half and adding together.

1. Rocky Branch (North): 14.2 mi, about 3000 ft (can reduce to about 13 mi and 2700 ft by using the Engine Hill bushwhack mentioned above, as that saves not only about a half mile each way, but also about 300 ft uphill climb on return)

2. Glen Boulder: 12.0 mi, about 4450 ft, including about 1200 ft back up Slide Peak (my favorite in decent weather on clear days with views)

3. Ammy approach from Cog Station: 15.8 mi (using lower parking lot), about 4800 ft, including about 1700 ft back up to Boott Spur summit

4. Dry River Trail from Crawford Notch: 17.0 mi, about 2800 ft (nice route)

5. Rocky Branch (South), Jericho Road: 19.2 mi, about 2850 ft (lower RB Trail very slippery footing, even in dry weather)

6. Davis Path from Crawford Notch: 19.4 mi, about 3600 ft, including lots of PUDs (very tedious, especially on way down)

7. Mount Stanton approach to Davis Path: about 32 mi, about 4000 ft, including lots of PUDs (great route for red-lining)

Camping along route #1 below (Rocky Branch north start)/Rocky Branch Shelter #2

So great to have all these options spelled out! If I wanted to do the Rocky Branch north start route as a camping trip, is the only option Rocky Branch Shelter #2? My book (very old--25th edition) said that this shelter "will be removed when major maintenance is required." So, is this shelter still up, and if not, (or even it is) can folks comment on other camping options? It's certainly feasible as a day trip, but we thought it would be fun to camp.

Not much more to add to the excellent comments above. But, here are the numbers for seven routes to Iso, all out and back by the same route. If you can afford the carbon footprint of spotting a second vehicle, you can mix and match the routes below by dividing each distance below in half and adding together.

1. Rocky Branch (North): 14.2 mi, about 3000 ft (can reduce to about 13 mi and 2700 ft by using the Engine Hill bushwhack mentioned above, as that saves not only about a half mile each way, but also about 300 ft uphill climb on return)

2. Glen Boulder: 12.0 mi, about 4450 ft, including about 1200 ft back up Slide Peak (my favorite in decent weather on clear days with views)

3. Ammy approach from Cog Station: 15.8 mi (using lower parking lot), about 4800 ft, including about 1700 ft back up to Boott Spur summit

4. Dry River Trail from Crawford Notch: 17.0 mi, about 2800 ft (nice route)

5. Rocky Branch (South), Jericho Road: 19.2 mi, about 2850 ft (lower RB Trail very slippery footing, even in dry weather)

6. Davis Path from Crawford Notch: 19.4 mi, about 3600 ft, including lots of PUDs (very tedious, especially on way down)

7. Mount Stanton approach to Davis Path: about 32 mi, about 4000 ft, including lots of PUDs (great route for red-lining)

There are several designated backcountry campsites along the way to Isolation. One is just a bit east, a bit up the hill, of the Isolation / Rocky Branch junction. One is just west of the third (?) crossing. One is just before the Isolation Trail reaches the Davis Path (water 5 minutes before). And there are a myriad of options if you go east off-trail while on the Isolation Trail on the east side of the river.

Rocky Branch Shelter #2 still in fine shape, so it should be around for a few years. Nice place to camp, as long as you can avoid black flies and mosquitos, so I suggest a rainy day or later in the season.

Glad to see so much interaction with this topic... glad I brought it up... now I have been waiting for a nice clear day and Tuesday, 7/5 is looking like that day now. Should be a perfect day for an O&B via Glen Boulder. Awesome conversation everyone!

Does it strike anyone else as a little strange to bag a 4000 footer by first climbing to 5400' and descending to it?

That said, it's the way I did it (and out RB). But it's true: the views from Iso pale in comparison to what you've seen on the way down Davis Path.

I def found it strange to climb the 5400 and descend to 4000 to bag Isolation too!

Finally did this yesterday with this route and everything everyone said was just about right on. Awesome way to go and awesome views all day but man, BRUTAL re-climbing Davis Path back to Glen Boulder! My energy was zapped by that point so it was def a slower than usual trek out. Plus the fact Glen Boulder trail is steep and unforgiving at the end of the day. Def a full day workout. About 9 hours for the 12 miles so did ok.

The highlight was the grey Jays at the top of Isolation! Eating right out of your hand was very cool! Will always remember that now.