Isolation via Rocky Branch-Bushwack-Davis Path 3-12-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaderman

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: The Rocky Branch Tr. up to Engine Hill is well consolidated. The bushwack is easy to find as the consolidated trail for Rocky Branch stops, takes an immediate right toward the bushwack. The bushwack is well traveled & easily followed all the way to the campsites near Davis Path. At the campsite area, take the trail this is on the left (South). It's only 120' to Davis Path. Davis Path has been cleared by someone (or group) with a saw(s). Much thanks to the (those) "trail angel(s)"! One blow down that had to be crawled was about 100' from intersection of Davis Path & Isolation Spur.

Equipment: Microspikes up to the Engine Hill bushwack. Snow shoes the rest of the trip to Isolation & back to Engine Hill/Rocky Branch. Snowshoes would have been helpful back to parking lot from Engine Hill but I blew out my left snowshoe & my right wasn't far behind.:mad: (Sorry for the post holes!). Poles helpful. No need for Crampons.

Observations: The weather was cloudy most of the day but mild temps (low 30's). Snow was sticky in some parts but not too bad. No one else out on the trail. The Mighty Quinn proved again to be a great companion. I truly believe that the bushwack thru the birch glades is one of the most beautiful "trails" I have been on. We made the round trip in 8.5 hrs (3.5 from summit to lot.:eek:) This is Winter #46 for me & Mighty Quinn's first trip to Isolation.:D