Israel Ridge and Emerald Bluff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
Sunday Aug 31

Spent the night at Hikers' Paradise in Gorham. Up at 6:30 and had breakfast. Then to MacD's for coffee and a sausage muffin. Noticed a hiker with his large backpack and poles. Correctly surmised he was a Nobo on his way to a TH. Asked if he'd like a lift, and ran him down to Pinkham Notch. Called himself Troutbum from Columbus. Had started out thinking he'd fish along the way but gave it up as impractical after a while. Began weighing 240 and was now down to lean and sturdy 185. Bid him goodbye, wished him well on the climb up Wildcat Ridge, and headed for the Castle TH.

Since I finished my NH 4000-footers I've been looking for less-traveled trails to explore. Israel Ridge Path and Emerald Bluff looked interesting:

Hit the trail about 8 and booked along at a good clip, arriving at Israel Ridge Path in just half an hour. Easy stream crossing. Chatted briefly with a young guy headed up the Castle Trail and then started up IRP. Stream crossing not too difficult. At the Link, I turned right and crossed Cascade Brook without too much trouble. Then up the hill and across the small slide. The WMG says you should follow the markings across the slide carefully, but I didn't see any, and the slide is so small there was really no need. After that the Link levels out in open woods and is really quite pleasant and easy to stride along. Reached Castle Ravine and turned left for a couple tenths to where the Emerald Trail starts off to the left. I had just started down it, when I turned around and found myself nose to nose with a friendly black and white dog. A 30ish couple with two dogs (Lucy and Monroe) had just come down the Link from the Castle Trail. They had spent the night near the castles and were looking to drop their packs and head up to Emerald Bluff as well. This was the last piece of trail that I expected to have any company on for the entire day. The WMG says one needs to follow the trail with care, but it was quite plain and well-blazed to boot. Perhaps the RMC has improved it since the trail description was written. Fairly steep with a few easy scrambles. At the Bluff there were good views to the north and over at Castle Ridge, though there were clouds sitting higher up the ridge and at the top of Castle Ravine. Chatted with the couple. Monroe, a greyhound, had been named after Bill Monroe of bluegrass fame. After a snack, I went onward and upward on the IRP to Perch Path. I took this over to the Perch where I had never been. It's just a small shelter, a few tent platforms, and a composting toilet(!). A middle aged guy and his teenage son were just starting out over to Randolph Path which they planned to take over to Jefferson. They had just one small daypack between them; the guy was saying the temps were supposed to be 70 with winds "only" at 50 -- stronger winds expected on Monday. As we hit the junction with IRP and treeline, the wind kicked in. I already had my flannel on, but I soon stopped to get out my wool hat and fleece gloves. I had to wonder if they really had enought gear and supplies in that little pack to see them all the way over to Jeff. I continued on as far as the Gulfside Trail. It was nearing noon and I was in and out of the clouds, so I decided to call it a day and head back down. Met another geezer on his way up to Adams; said he was going to descend Lowe's Path. A bit later I met another guy on his way up. Apparently he was headed for Adams, but his wife had gotten out ahead of him and he was afraid she was on the Randolph bound for Jeff. Told him I hadn't seen her. <insert sarcastic comment here>

By now I was feeling a mite weary, so I took my time and stopped to rest and drink frequently. The section of the IRP between Emerald Bluff and the Link was not as steep and rough as I had feared. In one place the ladders seemed like a joke they were so small and unnecessary. The crossing of Cascade Brook was easy and picturesque. Out by 2:45.

Good day. Was feeling pretty beat up last night, but arose this morning quite myself again.

Last edited: