It's spring in southern NH (Monadnock)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ow2010

Reaction score
*To be read with a touch of sarcasm, wherever you see necessary.

I was under the false impression that I could sleep in a bit this morning before heading out to hike. Thanks to daylight saving time, I didn't really get that much extra sleep. Oh well.
I hit the road west this morning...that's strange. In no time I was cruising through western MA on the way to Mt. Monadnock. It's not in the Whites and it's not even 4,000 feet! Why would anyone go here?!
After hiking Adams and Madison on Tuesday, my White Mountain desires were completely fulfilled (for the time being) and I was looking forward to a shorter drive and a break from "peak-bagging." It was a nice change of scenery to cruise through the scenic country roads of western MA and southern NH. To my own surprise, I even enjoyed the Sunday morning country oldies on the radio! (My personal favorite being "If you're gonna play in Texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band") < Not to be read with sarcasm! Those were some good tunes :p >
Anyway, anyway, before I knew it I was on the White Dot Trail heading to the 3165 foot summit. Though I was hiking solo, I had plenty of company with the crowds of jeans-and-sneakers hikers.

Some of the white dots were inconveniently placed...why does it have to be all the way up there? You mean I have to climb this mountain?
DSC03706.JPG

I believe this to be Mt. Wachusett, the highest point in eastern Massachusetts
DSC03708.JPG

An attempt at being artistic...it's rare that my camera and I agree about how a scene actually looked...oh well, it was worth a try
DSC03711.JPG

A nice panorama
DSC03714.JPG

It was a pretty nice day to be out. Nice views above timberline. Spring conditions were non-ideal, but what else is new? Spikes on, spikes off, spikes on, spikes off....at least I remembered my spikes! It seems like spring fever caused many hikers to forget theirs at home.

Nearing the top
DSC03719.JPG

DSC03727.JPG

As I stepped onto the summit, I was immediately greeted by a talking head. I received my own, personal, unsolicited advertisement for "Mt. Monadnock, the movie." This woman must have practiced...she even gave me a business card! And I thought I came hiking to escape all the commercials.
After a round of "Did you know such-and such about Mt. Monadnock?" from the talking head, I was able to take a look around. I pulled my camera from my pocket to snap some shots of the view, and the business card I had just been given was taken by the gusting wind and blown off the mountain! So much for Mt. Monadnock the movie...

Many ski resorts were visible, which I assume are in Vermont.
DSC03731.JPG

It's history!
DSC03732.JPG

DSC03733.JPG

I lounged on the summit for nearly an hour. The crowd grew shortly after I arrived and never stopped growing. I found a nice spot out of the wind in the "pit" on the summit. As the winds grew, it became apparent that others were envious of my spot.
"Looks like you got the best seat in the house," one remarked.
"I think so...I see everyone up here is staring at me," I replied.
I spent a few more minutes enjoying my wind-free corner, then surrendered it to the crowds to spar over.

The best seat in the house on a windy day
DSC03736.JPG

I reluctantly began my descent. The White Cross Trail was supposed to be the "least steep" alternative, but I found it to be particularly difficult with the spotty ice and snow.
I tried to go as long as possible without putting on my spikes. Inevitably this plan backfired and I took a pretty good fall. By pretty good fall I mean that I was laying flat on my stomach sprawled across the ice.
Falling can actually be sort of fun...mostly because it always happens in slow motion. After hitting the ground, I was perfectly happy just to lay there for a few seconds, but according to the second rule of Falling While Hiking (the first being "Falling shall always occur in slow-motion"), other hikers will always appear on the scene the moment you fall, regardless of if you were alone the moment before.
I tried to scramble to my feet but it didn't work.
"Pretty icy," I remarked to the approaching hiker.

Having learned my lesson, I put my spikes on and completed the descent without issue. I thought the White Cross Trail was a pretty steep descent and my knees were pretty sore afterward. I think in the future I'll visit some of the long, more gentle trails.

Beautiful day to be out...spring is definitely around the corner.

Nice trip report - pretty busy place - there's just no feeling of remoteness to the summit, unfortunately. But, it makes you appreciate the less-crowded places so much more!!! Thanks for posting!!!

Nice report!! Yes, Monadnock is a little different from what most of us hike to find, but don't be fooled, if you want to avoid the crowds, even on Columbus Day weekend there are places and trails on Monadnock where it can be done. Just don't go to the summit.

FYI, Yes, you are correct that is Wachusett. Your panorama is the Wapack Trail which starts and North Pack Monadnock on your left and runs to Mass terminating at Mt Watatic, about 21 miles if my memory serves me correctly. You're sheltered summit seat is the former NW corner of the stone summit fire tower and later refreshment stand which was finally torn down in 1972.

It sounds like the Monadnock video is finally completed. If it is the one I know about it was the project of a couple journalists from Keene. Most, if not all the video was taken by Larry Davis, the guy who climbed Mt Monadnock 2850 consecutive days back in the 90's and early 2000s and has climbed Monadnock more than 6000 times over his lifetime. The objective was to capture Monadnock throughout the four seasons and since Larry is back, almost daily again, he was the prime candidate to assist with the video end of the project. Thanks for the info, I'll have to pick up a copy.

Nice tongue in cheek report Owen (accompanied by beautiful pics). :) Monadnock is a great spring and fall hike and I love that we can get there from RI in 2 hours as opposed to double that for the Whites. It has become one of our favorite places over the last few years. If you know the right "secret trails" you can even avoid the crowds (except at the summit). As it turns out, those trails are also some of the most beautiful and challenging. I'd mention them here, but then the secret would be out ;) You could perhaps discover them with a little digging in the Monadnock posts on my blog...

Becca - The crowds weren't all bad...it can be interesting to sit and listen to people talk, and that's true of activities other than hiking as well. Thanks for responding!

Kerry - Thanks for all the information! I wasn't familiar with the view and this really helps to piece things together.

Mark - I'm glad you got the humor...I was afraid I might just sound like a prick :p . Thanks to your blog and recommendations from others, I am aware of some of the "gems" on the mountain...definitely plan to check them out in the future.