Jackson For Some R&R, 12/30/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
December 30, 2010: Jackson

Trails: Webster-Jackson Trail

Summits: Jackson

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

After the day we had on Garfield plus the day we were planning for the Twins and Galehead on Saturday, we decided it was a good idea to ease up a little to recharge and heal. A quick check of our December list showed a couple good targets for a light day. We decided Jackson via Webster-Jackson trail was the best choice. We could sleep in, start late, finish early, and be home early enough for another good night’s sleep.

On the way to Crawford Notch we made stops at Beaver Brook Wayside Area and the end of Little River Road to check out each end of the planned route for Saturday. Both were broken out but we have no way to know if the ends are connected by broken trail. At this point we can hope.

After a quick stop at the Highland Center we were off. The parking area near the end of Webster-Jackson Trail was overflowing with vehicles parked along the side of the road. We pulled in line and took care of final hike prep. The hike we selected was a very short and easy one for the day. We were in no hurry because it wasn’t necessary to hurry. Eventually, we crossed the highway and started into the hike. The sky was completely clear, there was only a very slight breeze, and we had a mild temperature to enjoy. It’s going to be a good hike.

The trail was a superhighway. Everybody must be on snowshoes – it was a beautiful snowshoe track; flat, wide, and smooth. This was winter hiking at its best. We knew the bare booters would attack soon but for today we were enjoying Webster-Jackson in the best shape we’ve ever seen it, and we’ve seen it quite a few times.

We both had our MSR’s; Sue had Lightning Ascents and I had Denali EVO Ascents. They worked great. At the steep pitches I would often lift the Televators (heel bar) to make climbing easier but sometimes just walked up the grade.

Before long we reached the Webster-Jackson trail split. The split to the right goes to Mount Webster and the split to the left goes to Mount Jackson; we went left. Most of the elevation in the hike comes in after the trail split and most of the televator use came in there as well. Starting out as late as we did was an unusual experience for us. Normally we find ourselves descending as most others are ascending but on this hike the situation was reversed. We met quite a few other hikers descending. In fact, the people that parked ahead of us walked past followed soon after by the folks that parked behind us.

Shortly after starting into the hike I remembered Ryan was planning to start the day's hiking with a Presi Traverse and I was pretty sure we would see him. Usually I don’t pay that much attention to others on the trail but knowing Ryan was probably headed our way had me watching more closely.

We started into the final steep section that leads to the ledges near the summit of Jackson and still no sign of Ryan. I was a little surprised but not at all concerned. One thought I had was he might have headed down the Webster Cliff Trail to hike his next target – Willey Range, south to north.

We reached the section of ledges and I wondered if crampons would be needed. After a couple steps on the ice-covered ledge I realized the conditions were perfect for the MSR’s. Sue and I just walked up the ledge to the summit. A short distance below the summit we stopped to pull out a jacket. We were dressed light for the climb but the air was cooler and there was enough of a wind to make the summit uncomfortable.

We stayed for a while to get our summit pictures, Sue made a couple new friends with the Gray Jays, and we enjoyed the distance views. What a prefect day to be on Jackson. Where was everybody? We had the place to ourselves but the parking area was overflowing.

Eventually it was time to start back down. We were able to stay with the MSRs off the ledges and all of the way back to the trailhead. Roughly a mile off the summit we stopped for a quick snack and some movement on the trail caught my attention. Here’s come a Flying Farmer – Ryan was headed our way. He looked great. He was moving well. Everything seemed to be going good for him. Ryan stopped for a quick picture and to visit for a couple minutes. I know how precious each minute is and really appreciate Ryan taking the time to stop. Good luck to you Ryan – there are many people cheering for your success and we’re part of the list. As quickly as he appeared he was gone.

We continued our leisurely approach to the hike and very soon were passing the trail split. On the final section from the trail split to the trailhead we enjoyed watching the sun drop below the Willey Range; both Sue and I enjoying a beautiful sight but probably thinking about Ryan and his adventure. Even though the sun was gone from sight we still had plenty of daylight remaining. We made our way along the trail and were soon at the side of the highway removing our snowshoes.

We picked the first break in traffic to cross the highway to the waiting truck. We quickly packed and headed to the Highland Center. After a quick change into some dry clothes we were on the highway south.

Thanks Sue. Every so often we need a short day and this was one that we needed. I really enjoyed the day and look forward to our next one in the mountains.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:cool:

Last edited: