Jewell Trail Condition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Hey All,
I want to climb Washington in about three weeks up the Jewell Trail. I would like to take my girlfriend as I have definatly given her the hiking bug and now she pouts whenever go out and do stuff for which she does not have the equipment for. So my question is, I have never done washington from this side in winter but was thinking of doing it b/c it there are no ravines to climb. Do you think she could get away with wearing stabilizers or yak trax for this hike?

-Jon

Jkrew81 said:
Do you think she could get away with wearing stabilizers or yak trax for this hike?

Depends on snow and ice conditions. It is highly likely that they will be inadequate.

If I went by this route, I would probably take snowshoes (for use on Jewell trail) and full crampons (Jewell and above).

Sounds like she is a beginner and is unlikely to have full winter gear. The weather up there can be a killer and this route is exposed to the weather for a significant distance. The return also requires one to walk into the prevailing winds for a significant distance.

Doug

lions head instead

read the AMC guide to the white mountain region. It describes the lions head trail at length, which is the shortest way to the summit. Even though the trail is very steep, you'd be in the lee of the mountain and exposed for far less time, also if retreat becomes neccisary, the wind would most likely be at your back (unless you try going up in a nor'easter). Also its a popular winter route for the reasons I mentioned; so the trail will be easier to follow and help would be nearby though I dont advocate getting into any situation where help would be neccisary!

Yes, lions head is shorter and steeper, and is probably the easiest way to the summit, but I would never climb it in winter without crampons (or anywhere above treeline on Wasington for that matter). Also, there is one section of lions head winter route that is near vertical to consider.
She might be better of renting snowshoes from EMS for better traction even though they will be a burden up high.

I haven't been on Jewell trail this winter but it has long sections of slab that are likely to be ice covered making full crampons a must! Also, as previously stated, the wind exposure above treeline tends to be greater on this side of the mountain. Lionhead is definitely the better option but also requires full winter gear and a frame of mind that allows one to turn around when conditions warrant! There is a section that requires good skills to get up and over rock/tree stuff and can be a little intimidating to some folks, especially coming back down over it. Another hike up there that is absolutely beautiful but less demanding for a beginner is the nineteen mile brook trail up to the Carter Hut. If conditions were good, you could then try to get up Carter Dome. Have fun!