Kaaterskill High Peak, June 22/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
I hiked up the Long Path from Malden Ave in Palenville Friday evening after work, taking advantage of the long days and spectacular weather. I camped Friday night near Buttermilk Falls and enjoyed a lovely night.

Packed up Sat morning and set off to hit KHP, leaving my pack stashed near the campsite and heading off with just the removable top of my pack with water and food. Saw some huge bear paw prints in mud along the trail and met a trail runner who said he had just seen the largest black bear he had ever seen in the east. I was sure to clap my hands and make lots of noise as I continued on up the trail.

About 200 ft below the summit, a large tree is across the trail, but with plenty of room to duck under. I was moving too quickly or not paying adequate attention as I went under, to see the large broken off branch section extending out. I whacked my head right into it. By the time I realized what I had hit, the blood was pouring down the side of my face. My first aid kit was 3 miles and 1300 ft below. Bad choice on my part. I was lucky in that I did have a bandana with me. I tried tying that over the gash, but because it was above my forehead I couldn’t get adequate direct pressure on it, and the blood kept bubbling through the cloth.

Not having anything else to work with (other than my shirt or underwear), I saw some moss nearby. I balled up some of it, put it right over the gash and tied the bandana as tightly as I could and it immediately stopped the bleeding! It was great! A couple (Chet and Ellen?) who were behind me came up just as I got things under control. They offered their first aid kit, but I didn’t want to mess with success, since this arrangement seemed to be ok.

I felt ok and continued up to the summit. We ran into another group at the summit (I am terrible with names, but believe it was Nancy and 3 companions) who had hiked up from Josh Rd. They also offered to help with first aid, but I was ok. It was a spectacular day and the views were as good as you can get, almost like on a cold winter day, but nice and green.

I hiked part way down with Nancy who does trail maintenance and was able to use her saw to remove the branch that I had “run into”. So, hopefully the next hiker who is not paying enough attention does not have the same encounter!

I backtracked to Buttermilk Falls, retrieved my pack and worked my way back down to Palenville. I kept the “moss bandage” in place until I got home later that evening. I removed it with some hesitancy. I had a nice divit but it wasn’t too dirty. I cleaned it out and bandaged it up and it seems to be healing nicely.

It was great to encounter such nice people on the trail, who were so willing to help. I wanted to let you know I got out and home safely. Thanks, see you on the trails.

Glad to see it all worked out well. As I read, I thought you were going to connect the large bear and profuse bleeding in the trip report. Glad he was on the herbivore part of his diet. ;)
Nice report.

PB

Aren't headwounds really bloody? The littlest cut on the forehead really spurt blood.. kind of like boxers! :) Glad you were OK and that your moss bandage worked...

How are the 3 falls on the north side, the one time I was there, it was such a dry time, they were mostly dry.

Jay

Hi Jay. Yes, I can attest to the fact that head wounds are very bloody! That was what was unnerving. That and the fact that you can't see the wound. Once I got the moss applied and the bleeding seemed to stop, I took a digital pic to see what things looked like up there. Then Chet and his companion came along. Nice to have company at a time like that.

The falls were flowing, but water was low. I gather they got hit by some of the storms that moved through on Thursday. Lovely area.