Kayaking Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistair

Reaction score
I want to do an overnight paddle, maybe two nights, in Maine sometime in the early Summer.

Can anyone recommend a trip route?

Is there an outfitter that you have used?

Does anyone know of an outfitter that would handle just the transport of kayaks up or down the cost at the start or end of my trip?

Main Island trail out of Stonington. There is a campground there and an outfitter, can't remember the name, who could probably help you out

You don't say if you are going solo or want salt (coast) or freshwater. Its a big state, with lots of both. If salt, Old Quarry has been mentioned & is good. There is also Maine Island Kayak, further south towards Portland. If you have never done it, be VERY cautious going solo - fog is a real hazard. You should have good nav skills before contemplating a solo trip of any significance.

Just my 2 pesos...

amf

oops - my bad (or your spelling bad!) - I see "cost" in your post must mean "coast" (hey, that rhymes!)

Last edited:
You don't say if you are going solo or want salt (coast) or freshwater. Its a big state, with lots of both. If salt, Old Quarry has been mentioned & is good. There is also Maine Island Kayak, further south towards Portland. If you have never done it, be VERY cautious going solo - fog is a real hazard. You should have good nav skills before contemplating a solo trip of any significance.

Just my 2 pesos...

amf

I will not go solo. ..... safety first.
I was looking for a trip that will tax my paddling skills and give me an adventure.

I have contacted a few Services and it looks like they will supply Guide and all gear (food/tent/kayak/ etc) for about $300.
Can anyone recommend a Guide Company?

http://www.castinekayak.com/

I have no personal experience but Karen Francoer speaks often at the Jersey Paddler Paddlefest in Edison, NJ (it's over now) and she seems to be very nice and knowledgeable of Maine.

Warren and I did a circumnavigation of Vinal and North Haven islands in Penobscot bay following parts of the Maine Island Trail. Surprised nobody has mentioned it but if you join MITA, you'll have access to a lot of nice little private campsites as well as a good guidebook. Warren and I were members and used it on our unguided Maine trips..

Jay

I've heard Karen at the paddle show and also talked to her in person. she is very knowledgable. I also bought the MITA guide. it was worth the price. Old Quarry was a nice place to put in. There is a small fee to park your car and launch. Stayed at the campground after the hike and it was nice. Hot showers, quiet sites and a hose so you could wash down the yak after the paddle. the folks there are also a great source of info. you do need to watch for lobster boats in that area.

This is the best source for coastal Maine paddling: http://www.mita.org/

The Moose River "bow trip" near Jackman can be done in two days but it would be a rushed two days. I'd recommend three days. Nice thing it is a rare loop across two ponds and down the Moose River ... and portages ... indeed, there are a few portages but nice campsites along the way.

We had a pleasant two nights camped on Lobster Lake, just north of Moosehead Lake, where there are beautiful campsites and a nice hike off the lake to Lobster Mountain.

Both are described in AMC's Quiet Water Guide to Maine. A search of VFTT will also reveal some good information.