Kearsarge North 2/16/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Wednesday February 16th Donna and Michael met up with Rick (Dynamite Sr.) and George at the Lodge at Jackson for a short day hike up Mount Pequawket. We took separate vehicles and rendezvoused at the trailhead along Hurricane Mountain road.

We hit the trail at 9:15 am. on a well packed path; all of us using micospikes. The trail passes several houses and a trail greeter. This little fellow seems to be popular with our canine friends.:eek:

We soon found our individual pace and would leapfrog several times, always enjoying good conversation.
It wasn’t long before we could see views of the surrounding areas including the Cranmore ski area.

After passing an open area, the woods become thicker and the trail steeper.
We reached the summit at noon; a little under book time.

The windy summit brought on a chill as we added another layer to hold in the warmth.
Climbing the tower enabled us to enjoy a 360 degree view of the Mount Washington Valley.
After an hour of soaking in the scenery, we headed back down where we would be sheltered from the blast of the cold wind.

It wasn’t long before we past the large boulders and eventually reached the trailhead at 3:15.
Thanks Rick and George for joining us for a delightful hike to one of the most scenic summits in the White Mountains. Hope to hike with you again on our next trip north.

You can view the slideshow here:
http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/Nature/Hiking/Kearsarge-North-21611/15956045_w2iV4

Mike and Donna

Still on track for duplicating our trip last March. :) Knowing how much we tend to like the same kind of places this is no surprise though. Kearsarge North is such a great small peak in the winter. Very few places with views better than that. You definitely got the full view treatment too. Nice! Still more to come I hope...

Mark,
There is definitely a connection of what we all like to hike. :):):)
With the exception of Waumbek, we didn't have a set plan on what trails we would hike, since as you know, in winter much depends on the weather and how the trails are broken out. We lucked out in that respect for the most part. Kearsarge is defintely one of the peaks that deserves more than one trip. This was our 3rd time to the tower. George had been there before; but it was Rick's first time.
OK...The final hike should be up later this evening. I don't think you and Natalie have hiked it yet. We'll see.....

Donna:)

JL and LD:
Thanks again for a great day! And good job ensuring a high cloud deck and amazing visibility.
Hope to do another one with you next fall . . .

Mike and Donna,

Another one for my list, it seems. Looks like another good snowshoe! You guys had some very nice views. Great TR as always...anymore coming, or was this the end of the trip?

I feel bad for Frosty the Snowman, though. Some doggy must not have realized he was standing there!!! :eek:

Karl

RICK: We can't take credit for the good weather we had but so glad you enjoyed the hike. See you in the fall.

KARL: Your list must be getting pretty long now. It was a terrific day!
As far as the poor snowman, ahead of us were two hikers with their black labs; whom I think were the culprits (the dogs that is) :D.

Donna:)