Lafayette, Lincoln via OBP and Falling Waters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRobi

Reaction score
Plenty of parking on both sides of the highway. East side was pushed back from this morning so even more now. OBP was hard packed with a dusting on it. Our group used light traction (microspikes and Hillsounds)..Some may want snowshoes for the televators. Note, part of the tread way was a bit narrow and you may be walking with your feet angled in if in snowshoes. Above Greenleaf there is drifting in the spruces. Once out above treeline the trail is hard packed snow with minimal drifting. From the summit of Lafayette to Little Haystack the trail varies from snow, to ice, to crust, with the occasional drifting. Some might like a bit more traction here. Snowshoes would not be good on any of Franconia Ridge.
Falling waters was in perfect condition. The 5 others we saw had all come that way and used snowshoes (I would second that choice as the televators would be very beneficial). We went with the wind, in a clockwise direction as the forecast was 20-25mph, in a NW direction. Anemometer read 29 on summit of Lafayette. Cold but the sun helped as did the wind at our back.
Great day out with Karen, Fran and Kurt (first time on Franconia Ridge...I think he'll remember it).
Saw one dog today. Not conditions I would have a dog out in, but not my dog.
Ken
KRobi
robisho at comcast dot net