Liberty, Flume, Lincoln, Lafayette - 3/8-9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradigan21

Reaction score
3/7 - Long trip from NYC to Boston, my back is pretty stiff from the travel and my hip doesn't feel as good as I would like. Thought I'd be staying in an unheated garage but I have a warm bed for the night.

3/8 - After a big breakfast I headed up Liberty Spring Trail pretty steadily until I got up to the campsite and taped up a blister that opened up on my right heel. Hiked up to Liberty with a very friendly guy from Jersey. Stashed my pack below the Liberty summit and headed out to Flume and back. Great views of everything but the northern Presidentials, they were stuck in the clouds. It was warm and not too windy most of the day, but the breeze picked up as I got back to Liberty from Flume. Camped below treeline about halfway between Liberty and Little Haystack.

3/9 - Very cold overnight, probably around -5. I was in a very sheltered spot with nothing more than a slight breeze, but the wind howling around me still kept me up intermittently throughout the night. Putting my feet into ice cold boots is always terrible, they were numb for awhile before warming up and giving me some screaming barfies. Never had it happen with my feet before. The views on Franconia Ridge were stunning, but it was too cold and windy to stay long and admire the sights. My feet were pretty warm after a couple miles but got numb again when I spent too long at the summit of Little Haystack. Felt pretty low energy for most of the morning after I got sick until I got more food back in me. By the time I got to the Lafayette summit the clouds had lifted off Washington and the surrounding peaks. I could see a good number of the NH 48s and all of the VT 4kers. Hiked down past Greenleaf Hut and over to Lonesome Lake to stay the night. Fantastic view of the moon rising over the ridge and I came down with great views from the lake as well. A place with a stove and water I don't have to melt from snow is awesome. Not to mention the wood stove in the common area of the hut. Found a very cool snow cave near the hut and hung out inside for a bit. Warm and toasty.

3/10 - Much warmer night than the one before, only took a few minutes of walking to warm up my feet. Lonesome Lake looked very pretty with a light snow falling in the morning. Hiked about 4.5 miles back to Liberty Spring TH and caught a shuttle back into Lincoln. Had a pizza for lunch and headed home. Great trip, always exciting to get back out there after a long winter.

Last edited: